The Washoe County Library System is scheduled Saturday to kick off its annual summer reading program, which aims to help children build reading and language skills while on vacation from school.
This year’s theme is “A Universe of Stories,” whichcoincides with thefiftieth anniversary of the Apollo moon landing.
The following summer reading “blast off” parties are planned:
- 11 a.m. to noon June 1 at Northwest Reno Library, 2325 Robb Drive
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 1 at Downtown Reno Library, 301 S. Center St.
- 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. June 1 at North Valleys Library, 1075 North Hills Blvd., Suite 340
- 3 to 4 p.m. June 1 at South Valleys Library, 15650-A Wedge Pkwy.
- 3:30 to 5 p.m. June 1 at Sierra View Library, 4001 S. Virginia St.
- 2 to 4 p.m. June 2 at Spanish Springs Library, 7100-A Pyramid Hwy.
- 2:30 to 4 p.m. June 5 at Verdi Community Library & Nature Center, 250 Bridge St.
- 3:30 to 5 p.m. June 5 at Duncan Traner Library, 1650 Carville Drive
- 4 to 7 p.m. June 14 at Sparks Library, 1125 12th St.
Other outer space-themed reading activities are planned at branches throughout the summer. For a complete list, visit https://events.washoecountylibrary.us/calendar/all/?cid=3724&t=d&d=0000-00-00&cal=3724&ct=25800
Those who want to keep track of their reading online can visit washoecountylibrary.readsquared.com beginning June 1, or download the READsquared app available for Android and iOS. Create an account by clicking “register.”
Participants who sign up will receive a pencil at the launch party and a themed bag on completion of the program. Those who’ve read 600 minutes or more can print their certificates. Children can continue to read and earn badges, complete missions and unlock mini-games.
Carla has an undergraduate degree in journalism and more than 10 years experience as a daily newspaper reporter. She grew up in Jacksonville, Fla., moved to the Reno area in 2002 and wrote for the Reno Gazette-Journal for 8 years, covering a variety of topics. Prior to that, she covered local government in Fort Pierce, Fla.