We deliver local, independently produced news about Reno, for the people of Reno, and (mostly) by the people of Reno.
Our Funding Model
We are supported directly by our readers through paid subscriptions. We also offer paid PR/sponsored content and a range of advertising options. In 2020, we received emergency COVID-19 financial support ($85,000) from the Local Media Foundation and Facebook’s Journalism Project for COVID-19 reporting. Neither organization has editorial control over content.
Journalism is real, valid and is reported by underpaid, hardworking truth-seekers.
We believe that an informed community is a stronger community. We publish news and commentary relevant to the lives of northern Nevadans and adhere to these core values:
* Fair, fact-based reporting
* Reliance (as much as possible) on expert sources
* Accuracy and transparent corrections of errors
* A diversity of credible voices and viewpoints
* Transparency and accountability
* Commitment to diversity, racial equality and to our community.
Reno’s Online News & Events Source
This Is Reno is your source for daily, award-winning news and events for Reno, Sparks, the Truckee Meadows and beyond. We were founded in 2009 and are locally owned and operated. Meet the team here.
We began with a question: Could a group of volunteer media professionals, collaborate and create an online news media outlet to fill the gaps left by downsized newsrooms? The answer, we quickly discovered, was yes.
Our site launched with an exclusive interview with Thomas “Lt. Dangle” Lennon about the ending of Comedy Central’s “Reno 911.” We have since grown to become a Reno news leader. We are Reno’s only locally owned and operated online news and events source. Our focus is on our community. We reach thousands of Reno-area readers each day on our website and social channels.
We offer effective and competitive advertising. If you need event promotions, advertising or want to see your news story reach thousands in the Reno area, please consider advertising with us.
* Nevada Press Association
* Local Independent Online News Publishers
* Investigative Reporters & Editors
Edward R. Murrow Award, Radio Television Digital News Association, Excellence in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, with Noticerio Móvil and KUNR Reno Public Radio
Breaking News Coverage award, LION Publishers
Multiple Photo Essay Award, Nevada Press Association
LION Publishers, breaking news award finalist, “Online News Doesn’t Qualify For Journalism Privilege Unless A Member of The Nevada Press Association”
Edward R. Murrow award with Reno Public Radio, “Cannabis in Nevada: The Rollout”
Edward R. Murrow award with Reno Public Radio “Behind The Battery Boom,” about Tesla’s impact on the region.
This Is Reno partners with other media sources and organizations, including:
* KUNR Reno Public Radio
* KWNK Community Radio
* Noticerio Móvil
* Report For America / Associated Press
In the news
- Shocking story reveals how one Reno cop went rogue to cover up a previous marriage to his second wife — Raw Story
- Protest erupts at a Tahoe ice cream shop after owner makes violent comments about Black Lives Matter — SF Gate
- Reno police identify suspects in battery on journalist during downtown riot — RGJ
- Local podcasters share experiences, give advice to students — Nevada Sagebrush
- “The photographs, which were shot for a local news agency called ThisisReno, perfectly marry the historic tradition of rodeos with the modern era.” — My Modern Met
- LION member spotlight: ThisisReno — LION Publishers
- Recreational Marijuana Sales Begin — Nevada Public Radio
- Discrete Displays to Catch During Artown — Kris Vagner, Reno News & Review
- A labor of love challenges revered tenets of journalism — Ron Ross Today
- A Master of Media: A conversation with Bob Conrad of ThisisReno — Hertz So Good podcast
- Art Festival Swallows Reno — Nevada Public Radio
- Music source — Reno News & Review
- Hashtag heroes: Social media tags help spread the word about great things in Reno — Reno Gazette-Journal
- “Press release dumping ground” — Brian Duggan, Reno Gazette-Journal