If you’re planning on spending money on Black Friday, a plethora of local businesses hope you will visit Midtown for its annual Black Friday shopping event, which features a nearly endless supply of mimosas and more Santas than the North Pole could ever handle.
The Creative Coalition of Midtown is presenting Black Friday in Midtown, a shopping event benefiting local children in need while also supporting local businesses.
Shoppers are asked to donate a new pair of sneakers or boots — or a minimum of $20 cash. In exchange, these holiday revelers will receive a shopping pass good for discounts at all participating locations.
Black Friday is November 27, 2015 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In addition, many participating shops are hosting a Santa for photos. Be sure to tag them with the #selfiewithSanta hashtags listed next to each store’s listing. Expect to see Vintage Santa, Kung Fu Santa, The Real St. Nicholas, The King, Goth Santa, a Yeti and more.
The following deals are available. (BOLD=current ThisisReno advertisers.)
1. Art Dogs & Grace – Exhibiting locally handmade glass &jewelry. 15% OFF ALL merchandise (some exclusions apply). – 218 Vassar St.
2. Awake & Aging – Join us with Harmonic Sound Therapy. FREE 15 minute sound healing sessions. $1 O OFF $70 sessions. #CosmicClaus – 737 1 /2 S. Virginia St.
3. Black Hole Body Piercing – 10% OFF gold jewelry and 20% off ALL other items. Serving Holiday treats. FREE raffle for a pair Ray-Ban Sunglasses. #SandyClaws – 912 S. Virginia St.
4. Blue Whale Coffee Co. – FREE 8oz. coffee. Deliciously discounted holiday inspired coffee specials. #BlueSanta – 32 Cheney St.
5. Corner Craft – Grand Opening of the Corner Craft designer furniture showroom & event space with Chris Wyatt Scott and Carrie-Lu Crepes. #TheHeadElf – 41 E. Taylor St.
6. Dressed Like That – 20% OFF any purchase, including gift certificates (pay $80 and receive a $100 gift certificate). #VintageSt.Nick – 711 S. Virginia St.
7. Forerunner Books – Join us! Meet St. Nicholas and learn the real story of Santa Claus. St. Nicholas crafts for kids & adults. 15% OFF storewide. FREE goodie bags, food and drink. #TheRealSt.Nicholas – 644 Plumas St.
8. Green Rush Eco Clothing – 20% OFF entire store! FREE holiday drinks. Buy a $50 gift certificate and get a FREE t-shirt. #GreenSanta – 745 S. Virginia St.
9. Happy Happy Joy Joy- 20% OFF storewide (local arts & crafts excluded). FREE HHJJ coloring page and holiday candy for everyone! #AbominableSanta – 23 Martin St.
10. Hello Yoga – 15% OFF storewide, raffle, hot chocolate and cookies. #SantaOhm – 732 S. Virginia St.
11. Junkee Clothing Exchange – Storewide discounts. Plus 15% OFF items in our Antique section. #MeetSanta’sElves – 960 S. Virginia St.
12. Micano Home & Garden – Welcome to Micano, where everything is handmade. Local garden art show with 15% OFF selected items in the store & garden area. #TheKing – 1350 S. Virginia St. Also featuring Dreams to Reality, local custom-made pottery.
13. Mountain Music Parlor – Bluegrass & Western music, hot chocolate, sweets & treats. See local artisans work and enjoy 15% OFF music store items. #OldSt.Hillbilly – 735 S. Center St.
14. Natural Selection – BOGO-buy one, get one half off all succulents! #Santa’sLittleHelpers – 39 Saint Lawrence Av.
15. Nevada Fine Arts – FREE hot apple cider and cookies. Buy a $25 gift card for $20.
#ManikenSanta – 1301 S. Virginia St.
16. Nevada Museum of Art – A museum of ideas, offering culture & art experiences. 20% OFF select merchandise in the museum store. #ArtyClaus – 160 W. Liberty St.
17. Never Ender – FREE raffle, 20% OFF store wide, hot chocolate and snacks. #BadSanta – 25 Saint Lawrence Av.
18. Recycled Records – It’s Black Friday Record Store Day! Live music all day, special RSD releases, and mimosas in the AM and beer in the PM. I will be adding over 1000 fresh pieces of used vinyl to the racks and totally refilling the “Just In” rack and the walls with some cherry stuff. Also putting out around 500 DVD titles bought from Bob Grimm, the movie reviewer for the Reno News and Review. For the Black Friday event, we are adding 10% to any gift certificate purchased. #BowielnspiredAlladinSaneSanta – 822 S. Virginia St.
19. Rocca Jewelry Appraisal – Live acoustic music with Pholkahontas. FREE hot chocolate. #KungfuClaus – 39 E. Taylor St.
20. Shea’s Tavern – Join us for BOTTOMLESS Mimosas and/or Bloody Marys. #BarflySanta – 715 S. Virginia St.
21. Sippees – FREE hot cocoa. FREE Sippee’s Signature Bake Mix with every $50 purchase. 10% OFF storewide. #SantafromTheSea – 955 S. Virginia St.
22. Statewide Lighting – One day only White Christmas Sale, 25% OFF retail for all lighting and decor. #WhiteChristmasCringle – 1311 S. Virginia St.
23. Sundance Books and Music – $25 gift certificates for $20. 121 California Av.
24. Wedge Cheese Shop – Free Mimosas (while supplies last) and hot cider. Free $20 gift card with $50+ purchase. Discounts on featured products. #CheesyClaus – 16 Saint Lawrence Av.
More Black Friday Deals in Midtown
25. Store-wide sale at Virginia Street Antique Mall, up to 30%!
26. ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS on ThisisReno.com: 20% any banner ad package with a purchase of 6 or more. Details: http://conradcomm.wpengine.com/advertising/display-advertising/
27. Karla Rice Massage – Massage Gift Cards for Sale (call or text to purchase: 775-287-2737)
- 30-minute massage- $20
- 60-minute massage- $40
- 90-minute massage- $70
28. Timeless Fashion Consignment Shop and Bridal Salon – 25% off storewide, hot apple cider, coffee and assorted desserts. We’ll also be launching our Bargain Basement, up to 50% off with an additional 10% off Black Friday only.
Also, check out what Craft Wine & Beer has in stock for the holidays:
Weather & Shopping Warnings
The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office is warning that winter weather is anticipated for Black Friday and is encouraging extra caution will driving. In addition, the office issued the following shopping tips:
- Avoid shopping alone; there is added safety when shopping with a companion.
- Always lock vehicles and keep valuables out of sight, preferably in the trunk or locked compartment.
- Before sunrise and after sunset, park and walk in well-lit areas.
- Stay alert to your surroundings. Take time to look around for possible suspicious persons, vehicles, and/or situations.
- When in crowded places, be alert for potential thieves. Don’t overload yourself with packages. Maintain visibility and mobility to avoid potential threats.
- Be wary of unsolicited phone calls. The holiday season is notorious for con-artists who use this “season of giving” to take advantage of your kindness.
- When possible, avoid carrying large amount of cash and valuables, and avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- When using the new “chip” credit cards, make sure they have not been left in the card reader before leaving the checkout counter.
- Keep close track of all your personal belongings and never leave them unattended.
- Keep a record of all your credit card numbers in a secure place at home.
- When shopping with children, keep a close eye on them at all times. Consider coaching them to go to a store clerk or security guard if they become separated and be sure they know their first and last name so they can advise someone who they are.
- Give children a contact phone number that they can carry on their person in case they do become lost.