There’s nothing better than biting into a perfectly ripe cantaloupe from Fallon, slicing up a Yerington onion for your gazpacho (because it’s too hot to cook!) or sweetening your iced tea with Reno honey … or is there? What if you could meet your farmer – and learn about how and where that honey was grown – right from the grocery store or restaurant menu?
This (and every) growing season, the Nevada Department of Agriculture (NDA) encourages you to meet your farmer! There are a number of great ways to do this, of course:
- Buy your groceries at a farmers market, and enjoy a face-to-face transaction with the wonderful people who grow your food.
- Visit the farm! Many farmers have a farm stand or community-sourced agriculture (CSA) basket (a system that allows consumers to participate in farm harvest and receive seasonal produce). Check with your farmer to schedule a visit.
- Meet your farmer with your phone:
- Download the Aurasma app: iTunes app store and Google Play.
- Search for “MYF public,” and follow the first option that comes up.
- Go to the main screen, and tap the square at the bottom of your screen.
- Put the photo of honey in your phone’s camera, watch, and enjoy!
With just your smartphone, you can meet about 20 local farmers (depending on what’s in season) while grocery shopping at the Great Basin Community Food Coop and soon in select restaurants. This app was created thanks to support from the Nevada Department of Agriculture’s (NDA) Specialty Crop Block Grant and Neon Agency.
Watch all of the videos below.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.