Patrick File is an assistant professor of media law at the University of Nevada, Reno. We discuss his research — which encompasses the evolution of technology and how it impacts media laws — and contemporary issues about how the press, including bloggers and independent journalists, benefit society and impact the public interest.
Issues and questions we discuss:
- Why are media laws are slower to change over technology?
- What is a shield law and how does it work?
- Why was Nevada’s press industry reluctant to include independent journalists in shield law statutes?
- Is Nevada’s legislature press friendly?
- Who is a public figure?
- How and why do media laws evolve?
- Do bloggers have the same rights as journalists?
- Who is a journalist?
- How do independent journalists impact the public interest?