Yesterday afternoon, Reno Fire Department crews received a call about a possible explosion at the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum in downtown Reno. It was later determined that the incident, which injured 13 people, was not an explosion; rather it was a flash fire.
Reno Fire Department officials have determined that the cause of the flash fire was an oversight by a museum presenter who did not follow the correct procedure in creating a routine “dust devil” or “tornado” demonstration.
“It was a simple oversight by the presenter that caused a flash fire that lasted approximately three to five seconds,” Reno Fire Chief Michael Hernandez says.
Of those 13 who were injured, nine (one adult and eight children) were transported to Renown Regional Medical Center for evaluation. At this time, Renown authorities have indicated that only one child remains in the hospital for observation. Renown is providing updates here.
Reno Fire Department officials met with museum staff earlier this morning and plans to conduct follow-up meetings.
“Our prevention staff will be meeting with museum staff to review demonstration and safety procedures and make appropriate recommendations as necessary,” Hernandez says. “It should be noted that museum staff acted quickly and evacuated patrons in a safe and timely manner which facilitated first responders’ actions upon arrival.”
SOURCE: City of Reno.