RPD NEWS RELEASE
Yesterday detectives from the Regional Street Enforcement Team (SET) conducted an underage alcohol compliance operation at several local restaurants and bars which cater to customers of St. Patrick’s Day activities. SET also conducted compliance checks at local convenience stores, some of which were in response to citizen’s complaints to the Reno police department of selling alcohol to minors.
Two 19-year-old and two 20-year-old (both born in February and recently turned 20) volunteers attempted to purchase alcohol at 19 different locations. Thirteen of those businesses refused to sell alcohol to the minors, and six sold alcohol to the minors.
The following locations were checked and PASSED the compliance check by refusing to sell alcohol to the minors:
- The Wolf Den located at 1305 N. Virginia St.
- Ceol Irish Pub located at 538 S. Virginia St.
- Filthy McNasty’s located at 1718 Holcomb Blvd
- Kahn & Sons located at 2005 Sierra Highlands Dr.
- Royal Market located at 6380 Mae Anne
- Friend’s Market located at 670 W. 4th St.
- Quick Mart located at 501 W. 4th St.
- Easy Mart located at 500 W. 2nd St.
- Ryan’s Saloon located at 924 S. Wells Ave.
- Wonder Bar located at 1195 S. Wells Ave.
- S.S. Smoke & Liquor located at 1475 S. Wells Ave.
- Corrigans located at 1526 S. Wells Ave.
- Rapscallion located at 1555 S. Wells Ave.
The Reno police department would like to thank those businesses who passed this operation for their diligence in ensuring only individuals of legal age are sold alcohol.
The following businesses FAILED the operation and were issued citation(s) for the listed charges:
- Valley Market located at 505 Denslowe Dr. – Sales of alcohol to minor
- -ackson’s located at 910 Robb Dr. – Sales of alcohol to minor
- El Tavern located at 1801 W. 4th St. – Sales of alcohol to minor
- Pine Food & Spirits located at 190 S. Center St. – Sales of alcohol to minor
- Shea’s Tavern located at 715 S. Virginia St. – 1. Sales of alcohol to minor. 2. Allowing minor into saloon (The doorman did not qualify for a citation and was arrested.)
- Lucky’s Saloon located at 1455 S. Wells Ave. – 1. Sales of alcohol to minor. 2. Allowing minor into saloon
As is the case in all alcohol compliance checks, the minors possessed their actual state issued identifications which clearly identified them as being under the age of 21. If asked by the employees for identification, the volunteers provided their real identification.
This compliance check was funded entirely by federal grant funds, designed to study pub crawl events, which were secured by our community partner,Join Together Northern Nevada (JTNN).
The Reno police department and JTNN would like to extend our appreciation and publicly recognize all of the passing businesses.
The Reno police department, the City of Reno and Join Together Northern Nevada have worked closely with local businesses to create a partnership while educating employees about the dangers in serving or selling alcohol to minors.
Serving alcohol to a minor and allowing a minor into a saloon are both misdemeanors, with a pre-designated fine of $500.00.
The Regional Street Enforcement team comprises detectives from the Reno Police Department, Sparks Police Department, Washoe County Sheriff’s Office and the University of Nevada Police Department.