Reno, NV – Jon Hager was selected yesterday as the first, official, Executive Director for the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange (SSHIX) by its Board of Directors after an open interview process. Hager, currently the chief financial officer for the Public Employee Benefits Program, was unanimously voted to become the Executive Director after competing for the position with two other candidates. Hager was selected because of his leadership skills, group-insurance plan knowledge, and hands-on-experience launching and operating a health insurance exchange.
“The Board is pleased and excited to have someone with Jon’s experience and enthusiasm to implement and operate a health insurance exchange,” said Barbara Smith Campbell, SSHIX Chair. “Jon brings the understanding and skill sets we need to spearhead our efforts to establish a health insurance exchange for Nevada.”
The role of Executive Director was being performed in an “acting” capacity by Department of Health and Human Services Director, Mike Willden, until a selection process was complete. “We are thankful to Mike Willden and his staff for all of the great work they did to keep us up to speed and on track until an official director could be hired,” said Smith Campbell.
The SSHIX was created by Senate Bill 440 and is required to:
- create and administer a state-based health insurance exchange;
- Facilitate the purchase and sale of qualified health plans;
- Provide for the establishment of a program to assist qualified small employers in Nevada in facilitating the enrollment of their employees in qualified health plans;
- Make only qualified health plans available to qualified individuals and qualified small employers on or after January 1, 2014;
- Unless the Federal Act is repealed or is held to be unconstitutional or otherwise invalid or unlawful, perform all duties that are required of the Exchange to implement the requirements of the Federal Act.
SSHIX is governed by a Board of Directors, consisting of seven voting member: Barbara Smith Campbell, (Chair); Leslie Johnstone (Vice-Chair); Lynn Etkins; Judith Ford, MD; Marie Kerr; Ron Kline, MD; E. Lavonne Lewis; and three ex-officio members: Director of Administration, Jeff Mohlenkamp; Director of Business and Industry, Terry Johnson; and Director of Health and Human Services, Mike Willden.