Home > News > House fire on South Arlington Avenue started by accident

House fire on South Arlington Avenue started by accident

By ThisIsReno

SUBMITTED NEWS RELEASE

Reno Fire Department officials say today’s structure fire at a guest house located to the rear of 1987 South Arlington Avenue was started accidentally.

“A maintenance worker repairing some plumbing by soldering pipe accidentally created an interior wall fire,” advised Battalion Chief Tim Spencer.

The call came in from a neighbor reporting a large amount of smoke that was bellowing out of the roof of the guest house.

“Crews quickly identified the location of where the fire had extended and were able to contain it, keeping it from causing further damage,” added Spencer. “Truck 1 did an excellent job exposing structural members to see where the fire had occurred.”

The majority of the damage occurred to bathroom, void space between the new and old addition of the structure, and the roof area. Besides the maintenance worker the guest house was unoccupied at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.

The Reno Fire Department responded to the fire at 3:10 p.m. this afternoon with three structure engines, one ladder truck, one safety officer, one rescue unit, an air support unit, one fire investigator, and one battalion chief. The Reno Police Department assisted with traffic control. NV Energy was also on scene helping fire crews by shutting off gas and electric services.