SUBMITTED NEWS RELEASE
WHO: Gruen Von Behrens, cancer survivor
Von Behrens began using chewing tobacco at age 13 and was diagnosed with oral cancer at age 17. He has undergone 35 surgeries including removal of his lower teeth, jawbone, half of his tongue and part of his neck muscles. Von Behrens now travels across the county sharing his story and educating teens about the risks of tobacco use. More on Gruen can be found at http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Gruen.html
WHAT: Gruen Von Behrens, an oral cancer survivor and motivational speaker will address local teens on the risks of tobacco use. Over the course of the week, Von Behrens will speak to nearly 5,000 local teens at schools and organizations in northern Nevada. Von Behrens’ presentation was made possible through a grant from the Nevada State Health Division and the Saint Mary’s Foundation.
DATES: Monday, Jan. 24
- 10:25 a.m. – Reno High School at 395 Booth Street, Reno
- 1:45 p.m. – Hug High School at 2880 Sutro Street, Reno
Tuesday, Jan. 25
- 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.– North Valleys High School at 1470 East Golden Valley Road, Reno
Wednesday, Jan. 26
- 9 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. – Sierra Nevada Job Corps at 14175 Mt. Charleston Street, Reno
Thursday, Jan. 27
- 10 a.m. – Wooster High School at 1331 East Plumb Lane, Reno
- 1:30 p.m. – Damonte Ranch High School, 10500 Rio Wrangler Pkwy, Reno
Friday, Jan. 28
- 9:15 a.m. – Incline High School at 499 Village Blvd, Incline Village
NOTE: Media will have the opportunity to interview Gruen Von Behrens and tobacco cessation specialists from Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center.
To find out the latest news and to subscribe to the Saint Mary’s RSS feed visit, http://www.saintmarysreno.org/Who_We_Are/Press_Center/index.htm.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.