WASHOE COUNTY NEWS RELEASE
It was a busy Friday morning for the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District (TMFPD) after responding to two incidents at two separate high schools, Bishop Manogue and Spanish Springs. Both occurred shortly after 7:30 a.m. as students were arriving for school. There were no injuries.
Truckee Meadows Fire Chief Charlie Moore says, “Firefighters responded quickly to both incidents and each incident was under control shortly after 8 a.m.”
Shortly after 7:40 a.m. at Manogue High School a teacher began to smell smoke and pulled the fire alarm. Students were evacuated to the football field, and Moore confirms a faulty motor in a heating and air-conditioning unit (HVAC) was to blame for this incident. Students were back in the classroom by 9 a.m.
Around 7:35 a.m. at Spanish Springs High School, Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District was called to a report of an explosion with an active fire alarm and fire sprinkler. Moore says there is still no confirmation of how that incident started, and the investigation has been turned over to the Washoe County School District Police. Class was cancelled for the rest of the day for students at Spanish Springs High School. Truckee Meadows Fire was supported by the city of Sparks Fire Department during this response.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.