fbpx
Home > News > COVID-19 > Governor activates National Guard, issues order to stay at home

Governor activates National Guard, issues order to stay at home

By Bob Conrad
Staff Sgt. Jennifer Nunes, a health care specialist assigned to the Northern Nevada Medical Detachment Nevada National Guard, checks the temperature of a Soldier at the front gate of the Office of the Adjutant General complex in Carson City, April 1, 2020. The Nevada National Guard started screening the Soldiers, Airmen, and civilians that continue to work despite the COVID-19 outbreak. (National Guard photo by Sgt. Walter H. Lowell)

Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak last week banned gatherings of more than 10 people. Today he went a step further: You must now stay at home if you are a nonessential worker.

He also announced today the activation of the Nevada National Guard in order to access more resources, including funding, and provide more services as Nevada’s population of COVID-19 patients grows daily. To date, 32 people have died in Nevada with four of those in Washoe County.

Gov. Steve Sisolak discusses measures to help the public with housing stability amid the COVID-19 public health crisis at a press conference at the Grant Sawyer Building in Las Vegas, Sunday, March 29, 2020. (Rachel Aston/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Pool) @rookie__rae
Gov. Steve Sisolak discusses measures to help the public with housing stability amid the COVID-19 public health crisis at a press conference at the Grant Sawyer Building in Las Vegas, Sunday, March 29, 2020. (Rachel Aston/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Pool) @rookie__rae

“Today’s ‘Stay at Home’ directive strengthens the imperative that Nevadans must not leave their homes for nonessential activities in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” he said. “This directive builds on previous directives around school closures, social distancing, closure of non-essential businesses, and bans on public gatherings of 10 or more people by requiring you stay at home unless leaving is absolutely necessary.”

People are allowed to leave residences for shopping — obtaining services or goods — from essential businesses, but they have to comply with social distancing requirements of 6 feet from others.

Sisolak — at times angry, at times tearful — demanded people stay home. He also ordered the news to tell readers and viewers to “please, join us, in staying home for Nevada. If we all do this, we can get through this safer and with less casualties,” he said.

The Military Times reported reported there are “more than 11,400 Guard troops mobilized in the effort to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.”

Nevada Major General Ondra Berry said the Guard will provide support for healthcare workers and logistics. In California, Cal Guard members are helping food banks, helping with shelter and providing medical support.

“When the Guard gets called in, you know you are getting the best of the best,” Sisolak said. “About 100 Nevada National Guard soldiers and airmen will join the National Guard’s COVID-19 response effort this week and join the other 17,000 Guardsmen across the nation already on duty battling the coronavirus.”

The stay-at-home order is in effect until April 30, 2020. Sisolak admitted, however, that stay-at-home orders “are difficult to enforce. I don’t feel it is the time to put a penalty or fine in place for violators.”

Read more news about COVID-19 in Reno

Related

1 comments

Avatar
Heather Cooper April 1, 2020 - 8:35 pm

Why are daycare facilities under essential business? Putting infants and children under 5 yrs of age at risk, while public schools are closed.

Comments are closed.

Share via
Send this to a friend