We’ve all been cooped up, and for many social distancing and #StayHomeForNevada will continue. But with amazing weather on tap for this week we hope you get out and enjoy a little fresh air! And when you can’t get outside, we’ve got your back. Pull up the internet and dive into live-streams offering everything from pandas to dance parties.
- How is the COVID-19 pandemic affecting children? The experts say we’re only beginning to understand. Tune in to Nevada Tomorrow’s latest Speaker Series panel discussion featuring experts that will discuss educational obstacles and opportunities. It’s Thursday, April 30 at noon. Details at: http://www.nevadatomorrow.org/tiles/index/display?alias=speaker_series
- Plan a date night in. Sierra Arts Foundation and Wild River Grille have created Band Together, date night packages with food and live music. Order dinner to go and you’ll get a code to watch the livestream of music. It’s available Friday and Saturday nights. For details: https://www.wildrivergrille.com/band-together
- You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy the activities in the Urban Roots at Home collection, but you have to at least be a kid at heart. They’ve put together hands-on activities including literature and writing, engineering and design, art, recipes and more. Visit urgc.org/urbanrootsathome to find a project, and be sure to post your results on your social network and tag #UrbanRootsAtHome to share.
- Dance, sing, or just practice mindfulness via music. Nota-Able Music Therapy Services hosts daily live music activities streaming online. For details visit: https://www.facebook.com/NoteAbleMusicTherapyServices/
- Crochet at hammock. As we mentioned, the weather is warming and the fresh air beckons. If only you had a hammock to relax in. Check out the many patterns, from crocheted hammock-style chairs to full-size ones to lay down, to the mini banana hammock. Yeah, we’ve reached this point in the stay at home orders. https://www.thefunkystitch.com/29-crochet-hammock-free-patterns/
- Tigers, rhinos and bears. Zoos and aquariums across the country are closed, but the animals are still hanging out and the cameras are still rolling. FYI: the rhinos are pretty lazy based on what we’ve seen. Here’s a list of some great animal cams: San Diego Zoo, Monterey Bay Aquarium which also has live narrated feedings, Georgia Aquarium (whale sharks!), Smithsonian’s National Zoo (baby cheetahs!), Zoo Atlanta’s Panda Cam, Houston Zoo, Memphis Zoo and (not a zoo, but cuddles!) Kitten Rescue Sanctuary’s Kitten Cam.
- Stay safe! This week the city released new guidelines loosening some restrictions and permitting curbside commerce for some businesses. If you choose to get out and support local businesses, check their website or social networks ahead of time to see if they’re open and how they’re conducting business. And be sure to continue hand washing and sanitizing, masks, and other social distancing protocols!
- For the last two Saturdays DJ Jazzy Jeff has hosted live-streams dubbed “the magnificent house party.” Tune in Saturday at 12 noon to his Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/djjazzyjeff to see if he’s partying again. You can catch last Saturday’s party, still posted on his page.