University experts showcase research, engage attendees in activities and programs
RENO, Nev. – At Nevada Field Day on Sept. 24, visitors will be treated to a variety of free activities and demonstrations, and even some tasty food samples. As part of this year’s activities, local restaurateur/chef Mark Estee will be demonstrating how to cook at home with healthy, local food.
The University of Nevada, Reno event features demonstrations and hands-on activities focusing on the latest advancements in agriculture, horticulture, nutrition, natural resources and the environment. For example, for those interested in growing food and plants, Master Gardeners will be on hand to provide information, and there will also be demonstrations/information on:
– constructing simple hydroponic systems for growing fruits and vegetables at home,
– constructing hoop houses,
– growing grapes and making wine,
– developing local food businesses in Nevada,
– attracting beneficial pollinator insects, and safely managing insect pests,
– ongoing research on low-water-use crops and salt-tolerant crops.
Some hands-on activities for youth will include:
– a 4-H science activity where youth will make their own mini lava lamp to take home,
– other 4-H clubs providing information and demonstrations on raising animals, such as goats and horses,
– the “Ember House” ping-pong toss, where children learn about embers and the wildfire threat,
– painting toy ducks and other activities by the University’s student chapter of the Wildlife Society, and
– activities about and examples of Nevada’s plants and animals from the Museum of Natural History
WHO: University of Nevada, Reno – College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources; Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station; and University of Nevada Cooperative Extension. Sponsored in part by the Nevada Agricultural Foundation and the Truckee Meadows Water Authority.
WHAT: Nevada Field Day.
WHEN: 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 24.
WHERE: The University’s Main Station Field Lab, 5895 Clean Water Way, Reno.