fbpx
Home > News > University > Chancellor, UNR president searches halted

Chancellor, UNR president searches halted

By Bob Conrad
University of Nevada, Reno Morrill Hall. Image: Bob Conrad

Nevada System of Higher Education Chancellor Thom Reilly’s contract just got extended through the end of the year, and the search for the University of Nevada, Reno’s next president was put on hold today.

UNR President Marc Johnson is “unavailable to continue serving [as president] through the summer,” NSHE officials announced, meaning that somebody will have to be appointed to serve in an interim capacity when he retires in July.

“We have delayed the current searches to ensure an open and transparent process with full involvement of the campus and community constituencies and in consideration for the health and well-being of all those involved,” said Geddes. “It is also important to have stability in these key leadership positions during this distressing time.”

The Board of Regents scheduled an emergency meeting for April 7. The meeting agenda does not include an agenda item on the UNR position. NSHE spokesperson Francis McCabe said the decision for UNR will be be made at at June meeting.

“Regents will consider performing the chancellor search in June and the UNLV and UNR searches in September,” officials said.

The Nevada Independent reported today that former Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval is leaving his job at MGM to apply to be UNR’s next president.

Johnson announced his retirement, effective July 1, last year.

Related

Share via
Send this to a friend