The future of Reno lies with its past. Dr. Alicia Barber joins us — with special co-host Jamie Roice-Gomes — to talk about Reno’s past, the history of Midtown and hints at where we as a city may be headed.
Topics covered in this podcast:
- The history of Midtown
- The Fourth and Prater history project
- The Reno Historical app (download here)
- Downtown’s last grocery store
- The Mapes
- What the adult store on South Virginia used to be
- The Arch
- The Riverside Artist Lofts
- The colors of the new Virginia Street bridge
- The future of Reno
- And much, much more.
Dr. Barber has a Ph.D. in American Studies and 15 years of experience as a professional writer, historian, professor, and historical consultant. While teaching at the University of Nevada, Reno from 2003-2013, she developed the university’s first comprehensive introductory Public History course, taught Museum Studies, arranged hundreds of student internships with local cultural institutions, and directed the University of Nevada Oral History Program (2009-2013).