WASHOE COUNTY NEWS RELEASE
The Board of Fire Commissioners for Sierra Fire Protection District has reached a labor agreement with the Sierra Fire Protection District Firefighters Association.
The Sierra Firefighters Association (IAFF Local 3895) has 37 members, which include captains, equipment operators, firefighters/paramedics, firefighters, prevention captain and a mechanic.
The labor agreement contains financial and non–financial provisions and includes new, major cost-saving provisions to the district. The major provisions of the new agreement are for a one-year term, July 1, 2011, to June 30, 2012, and include:
• Staffing changes: The required engine company staffing will be reduced from four to three-member team minimum, with the flexibility to use a two-person rescue unit.
• Salaries: No change in salary during the term of the agreement.
• Vacation: One time allocation of 24 hours of vacation and leave requests to be submitted 24 hours prior to requested date.
• Holiday pay: Holiday pay was exchanged for an equal amount of compensatory time off rather than being paid in cash.
• Reserve program: Collaboration between the district and the Sierra Firefighters Association in the development of a reserve firefighter program, in order to augment existing career firefighter station staffing.
• Vacancies and promotions: There will be change in the process to include a scored interview panel and review process for candidates who are not selected for promotion.
• Expedited arbitration: A provision was added for expired arbitration to ensure that successor contract negotiations are resolved on or before June 30, 2012.
The wage and benefit concession included in this agreement total $542,000 in savings for fiscal year 2011-2012.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.