CHARLENE BYBEE NEWS RELEASE
Charlene Bybee, a life long Sparks resident and an active community volunteer, announced today her intention to run for Sparks City Council Ward 4, the seat being vacated by Mike Carrigan, who is term limited.
Bybee has volunteered thousands of hours in the community, from serving as PTA president at her sons’ schools to being on the Sparks 2040 Master Plan Steering Committee and the City of Sparks Charter Committee.
“I grew up in Sparks and chose to raise my sons here because of the family-oriented atmosphere,” says Bybee. “From watching my sons play baseball at Shadow Mountain to taking Jazzercise at the Alf Sorenson center, I have appreciated the important roles these facilities play in our day-to-day life, and protecting them will be a top priority for me on the Sparks City Council.”
Some of her community service includes the following:
- President of the Junior League of Reno and worked to raise awareness about domestic violence by bringing the “Silent Witness” domestic violence project to the state of Nevada.
- PTA President at Marvin Moss and Bud Beasley Elementary schools, Mendive Middle School and Bishop Manogue High School.
- A parent representative on the grassroots school bond campaign “Yes, Yes for Kids.”
- Chairman of the School Attendance Advisory Board (SAAB) and testified before the Nevada Legislature on truancy issues.
- “Volunteer of the Month” in March 1999 by the Washoe County School District.
- Unpaid lobbyist in 1999, 2011 and 2013 at the Nevada Legislature testifying for educational reforms, school choice and responsible spending.
Bybee was raised in Sparks by her parents, Ralph and Kathy Thomas, with her five siblings. She and her husband Bern raised their two boys, Eric and Alex, in Sparks.
Bybee has worked as a flight attendant for American Airlines for 37 years, a job that gives her communications and people skills that will be useful on the City Council.
“I have learned to effectively communicate with people in both friendly and antagonistic circumstances,” says Bybee. “I know how to be diplomatic and find common ground among diverse opinions. These skills are useful in today’s political climate that has gotten so disagreeable.”
Learn more about Bybee at CharleneBybee.com.
Latest posts by ThisIsReno (see all)
- NV Energy Foundation Supports Nevada Nonprofits with Over $1 Million in Grants - July 22, 2014
- Physician Workforce in Nevada – 2014 Edition” report released by University of Nevada School of Medicine - July 22, 2014
- Calif. – Nevada sage-grouse habitat hoping for improvement under new agreement - July 22, 2014
- University to host national Jeanne Clery Act Training Seminar on campus - July 19, 2014