What do you get when you invite seven seasoned artists to come together to paint original murals on a 19’ 7” wide by 14’ feet high panels on the Virginia Street side of the Circus Circus Hotel Casino? If the last six years are any indication, the City of Reno will have
Circus Circus’s 7th annual Mural Marathon will take place during Reno Art Fest 2019, beginning at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 12 and concluding at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 14, with the winners announced at noon. Murals will remain on display for an entire year until the next annual competition occurs. Follow along with the Mural Marathon using #CircusMurals.
“Since the creation of the Mural Marathon in 2014, the City of Reno has seen many efforts to add more art everywhere and it has vastly changed the way the heart of Reno looks by making it more colorful, more walkable and more photographic,” said Cindy Carano, Executive Director of Community Relations for THE ROW, which consists of Circus Circus, Silver Legacy and Eldorado Resort Casino.
Based on application and mural concept, the selection committee chose the following artists to beautify the side of Circus Circus:
- David Puck – Los Angeles, CA
- Ivan Roque – Miami, FL
- Austin Cashell (Jiminai) – Austin, TX
- Kate O’Hara – Reno, NV
- Melissa Ghiglieri – Central Point, OR
- Eric Weatherford – St. Louis, MO
- Rafael Blanco – Chicago, IL
The seven talented artists were selected by an esteemed panel to compete for a grand prize of $3,000, 2nd place prize of $2,000 and 3rd place prize of $1,000. A People’s Choice award will also be presented.
Spectators are invited to watch the artists in action while they work, and they’re also welcome to experience other Reno Art Fest activities which include:
• Open Air Art Market featuring more than 50 artist tents, with original 2 and 3-dimensional fine art, including acrylics, oil and watercolor paintings; photography; ceramics; jewelry; glass; stone and metal sculptures; wood and clay pieces. This is your chance to talk to local, regional and national artists about their work, which is all available for purchase!
• Saturday night will feature Northern Nevada favorite Controlled Burn, as they present a flaming hot show with stilt walkers, dancers, drummers and a variety of fire performers. Art cars will be playing fun music.
• A special CR8TIV Zone will provide art supplies and activities for kids of all ages. Hula Hoops, balloons, face painting, puppets and interactive art projects will be on hand for the entire family to enjoy.
Reno Art Fest is part of Artown 2019, and made possible with the support of these sponsors: Nevada Arts Council, RSCVA, City of Reno, The Row, Sierra Arts Foundation, Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts, EDAWN, SoSu TV, Nevada Fine Arts and Herc Rentals.
For more information, visit www.RenoArtFest.org.
This post is paid content and does not represent the views of ThisisReno. Want to promote your business, event, or issue? Consider a sponsored post.