By Carla O’Day
An extra $100,000 was approved unanimously Tuesday by the Reno City Council to investigate alleged misconduct by City Manager Andrew Clinger.
An additional $50,000 was approved to Las Vegas firm Kamer Zucker Abbott to continue the investigation. The $50,000 approved by council members to the firm last month was exhausted. The firm charges $210 to $550 per hour for attorney time and $85 to $125 per hour for paralegal time.
The council also approved $50,000 to hire David Wall, a retired district court judge, to investigate complaints against Clinger.
Dollars are coming from the city’s risk management fund.
Clinger faces four complaints by three women but has denied allegations. He is on voluntary leave.
An initial investigation by the city attorney’s office found no wrongdoing. However, an attorney representing the women claimed the investigation was botched, which City Attorney Karl Hall denies.
Councilman Paul McKenzie said the city owes it to its citizens and employees to be sure there’s a thorough and efficient investigation.
“It’s to find out as clearly as we can the circumstances and validity of the complaints that have been filed,” McKenzie said. “Ultimately if there’s anybody who will be defended in this matter, it’ll probably be the city itself. This money is money that is spent on behalf of the citizens to defend the city and to make sure we’re taking care of our employees.”
Only McKenzie commented. After the meeting, Hall denied the council was keeping quiet because of potential legal repercussions.
“It was on the agenda, and they made a decision and we’re going forward with the investigation,” Hall said.
The investigation will be made public and should be finished by mid-October, Hall said.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Council approves additional $100K to investigate Reno City Manager” quote=”Additional $100K Approved To Investigate City Manager”]