CITY OF RENO NEWS RELEASE
Residents of Reno, Sparks and Washoe County are encouraged to register now for the spring session of the award-winning Reno Citizens Institute (RCI) program provided by the city of Reno.
Participants meet with elected officials, department directors and city staff to gain an understanding of the city’s structure, processes and services through hands-on exercises and presentations. Activities include a mock planning commission meeting and a mock trial as participants and legal staff take on various courtroom roles. Participants also visit the 911 dispatch center to get a taste of the fast-paced and inner workings of public safety. A trip to a local fire station includes trying on some of the firefighting gear and seeing the apparatus up close.
The free eight-week RCI program is hosted on Tuesday evenings from 6 to 9 p.m. at various city facilities and venues. Classes begin on Tuesday, February 28, through Tuesday, April 17. Registration deadline is February 22.
RCI offers an opportunity for participants to gain valuable insight into city operations so they can become ambassadors for change in their neighborhood and the community to help improve the quality of life.
It also offers a learning opportunity for those who want to serve on one of the city’s many advisory boards or are interested in running for office. Media representatives are also encouraged to participate.
Applications for the spring session and more information about the program are available online at www.reno.gov or by calling Reno Direct at 334-INFO (4636).
Spring 2012 RCI Class Schedule
- February 28 – City Manager’s Office
- March 6 – Community Development/ Code Enforcement/Redevelopment/Business License
- March 13 – Parks, Recreation and Community Services
- March 20 – Reno Fire Department
- March 27 – Public Works
- April 3 – Reno Police Department
- April 10 – Municipal Court and City Attorney’s Office
- April 17 – Human Resources, Finance and Communications & Technology
- April 25 – Graduation at the Reno City Council