Community Driven News
ThisisReno is your source for daily news and events for Reno, Sparks, Carson City, the Truckee Meadows and beyond. We were founded in 2009 and are locally owned and operated.
ThisisReno began with a question: Could a group of volunteer media professionals, collaborate and create an online news media outlet to fill the gaps left by downsized newsrooms?
The answer, we quickly discovered, was yes.
Our site launched with an exclusive interview with Thomas “Lt. Dangle” Lennon about the ending of Comedy Central’s “Reno 911.” Site stats started strong when Lennon tweeted to his thousands of followers our breaking interview. Locals took note.
We have since grown to become a Reno news leader and influencer. We are Reno’s only locally owned and operated online news and events source. Our focus is on our community — not national news, not world affairs and definitely not cat videos (unless it’s an awesome Reno cat).
and when you need event promotions, advertising or want to see your news story go viral in the Reno area, please consider advertising with us.
Thanks for visiting.
Editor / Publisher / Housekeeper
What others have said
We have been featured and mentioned on a few other sites.
- “Why I Love This is Reno,” Nevada Review
- “A labor of love challenges revered tenets of journalism,”Ron Ross Today
- “NV Dems Swamp ‘This is Reno’ with Not So ‘Sweet” Press Releases,” Dullard Mush
- “News driven by public relations? (GASP!),” Mrjerz.org
- “Music source,” Reno News & Review, December 13, 2013
- “Hashtag heroes: Social media tags help spread the word about great things in Reno,” Reno Gazette-Journal, Nov. 2, 2013
- “‘Press release dumping ground,'” Brian Duggan, Reno Gazette-Journal
- “You are officially kicking the ass of the TV stations on well shot and thought-provoking stories in the Reno area.” — Chuck (former Reno news photographer)
Here is our general philosophy:
- The quality and credibility of information is more important than impossible-to-achieve objectivity
- Gatekeepers to those more qualified are an impediment to news
- Obviousness is not news
- People and organizations can tell their stories better when not vetted through gatekeepers
- Information dissemination is inherently social
- Publishing news and information is only part of the process
- People determine the importance of information, not editors
- Quality information is more important than debate
- No person, business or organization is immune from the skeptical eye
- No person, business or organization is immune from praise
- Contradictions are a normal fact of life
- Rules are always evolving and are therefore subject to change