The holidays are wearing thin with just a few weeks to go, which isn’t surprising since the tinsel and merry-making started back in October. Unlike last week’s lineup of holiday cheer, this week’s events are thin on Santa and thick on—well, we can’t quite put our finger on it.
Regardless, enjoy your week.
- You can gift your family with the return of the Electric Slide after learning the moves at Beginner Country Dance Lessons with Vikki at Pure Country Canteen in Sparks. She’ll teach country couples and line dances with a backdrop of rum drink specials. Boot-scootin’ details here.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 has been revived a handful of times, notably because there is no shortage of bad movies on which to riff. The robots will be live at the Pioneer this week to MST3K’s touring show, the Time Bubble Tour, to mock Making Contact. The 1985 film has been described on Wikipedia as a “West German techno-horror-fantasy film,” so definitely a break from Christmasy stuff.
- Reno Little Theater is getting in on holiday-themed stage action with “Ho Ho Ho: The Santa Clause Chronicles.” It’s a merging of two of our favorite things: Christmas and the news. Santa’s press secretary will answer questions from the media and reporters will be asking the tough questions, like “Where is Mrs. Claus?”
- Bundle up. The Reno Wine Walk is on for this weekend. This month’s edition is akin to a holiday “sip and shop,” so drink responsibly if you intend to actually get some shopping done.
- Phoenix-born and Brooklyn-based singer/songwriter Kristina Moore of koleżanka is the headliner at The Holland Project’s Sunday night show, but we got a little hung-up on the opener: Unexplainable Cattle Mutilations. Google search brought no further details on that act, so we suppose you’ll have to go to find out.
Mark your calendar: On Dec. 22 a handful of local organizations will host a Christmas party and giveaway at Roller Kingdom to give back to single moms and struggling families in the community. The event is in honor of a generous Black man in the community who passed away several years ago. Get details here.