Feature Image: Trevor Bexon
Nearly 5,000 people who previously worked in hotels, restaurants and bars filed for unemployment benefits in Washoe County in early April after state-mandate shutdowns to battle the spread of COVID-19.
The Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation this week released some of the first detailed information about the effects of the shutdown on workers in Washoe County.
In just one week — the week ended April 11 — state labor analysts say 4,850 people employed in the hospitality industry filed jobless claims in Washoe County.
Retail workers also were hard-hit as non-essential stores shut their doors. About 1,400 retail workers filed claims for unemployment in Washoe County during the first full of April.
But layoffs rippled through the entire economy of Nevada after the shutdown was ordered on March 17. State employment officials said layoffs were reported by car dealers, commercial banks, engineering companies, airlines, billboard companies and others.
Statewide, women accounted for a majority — 51.7 percent — of the jobless claims in the first week of this month.
About $6.2 million in unemployment claims were paid out to Washoe County workers in March, but state officials expect that number to rise significantly in April. Jobless workers got an average weekly benefit of $369.
Despite the abrupt layoffs across many companies, state employment offices fielded requests from some companies that needed to add staff in a hurry. Workers to stock grocery shelves or make deliveries have been in particularly high demand.
Jobs at utilities, farms and mines in Nevada so far have been largely spared from COVID-19 impact.
Even before the COVID-19 shutdown, the jobless rate was beginning to rise in the Reno-Sparks area. In March, state analysts said the region’s jobless rate stood at 5.3 percent. That compares with 3.6 percent in the same month a year earlier and 3.2 percent in February.
Read more news about COVID-19 in Reno
It was announced today Brent Boynton died of COVID-19 complications. A consummate professional, with an incredibly big heart, Boynton was a servant leader.
El gobernador Sisolak ordena más restricciones en medio de un aumento a “nivel explosivo” de pacientes con COVID-19
El gobernador de Nevada, Steve Sisolak, emitió este lunes nuevas órdenes para restringir reuniones y negocios, ya que el estado enfrenta un “nivel explosivo” de casos de…
Las escuelas permanecerán abiertas a pesar del aumento de casos de COVID-19, dice junta de fideicomisarios
El distrito escolar del condado de Washoe mantendrá abierta la mayoría de las escuelas a pesar de un fuerte aumento en los casos de COVID-19 dentro del…
The Nevada Public Health Training Center, through its #COVIDCrew, is working to engage those ages 18 to 24 to participate in a COVID-19 Climate Survey.
Nevada’s Business & Industry director urged people to wear masks in an update on Monday that presented the latest OSHA compliance data.
El condado de Washoe lanzó dos encuestas públicas esta semana para recopilar comentarios de la comunidad, que se utilizarán en la formulación de un plan de recuperación…
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak today issued orders for more restrictions on gatherings and businesses as the Silver State is facing a “wildfire level” of COVID-19 cases.
Twenty one people have died from the coronavirus disease in the past week, according to the Washoe County Health District.
Nevadans are facing a winter of distress as COVID-19 cases continue to rise throughout the state.
Washoe County Schools Superintendent Kristen McNeill will recommend all schools move to distance learning at Tuesday’s Trustees meeting.