By Lucia Starbuck
Thousands of Nevadans have filed for unemployment due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but many have yet to receive those benefits, or even successfully navigate through the system. The reason, said Gov. Steve Sisolak yesterday, is that the system wasn’t built to accommodate the high traffic it’s currently taxed with.
“This unprecedented pandemic has been devastating for so many of our families,” Sisolak said. “My office has heard from many Nevadans who have lost their livelihoods and they’re experiencing issues in filing for their unemployment benefits.”
From March 14 to April 4, 300,000 Nevadans filed for unemployment, the highest the state has ever seen.
For those who have successfully filed, Sisolak assured that no one will lose any benefits and will be paid retroactively. He instructed the Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation (DETR) to backdate unemployment claims to March 15, 2020.
Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, passed by Congress and signed into law March 27, Nevadans currently receiving unemployment benefits will also get an additional $600 as soon as Wednesday, April 15.
Changes in the process
DETR has implemented a number of changes to the unemployment process to handle the surge in claims.
Bank debit cards are issued to filers after their claim is initiated, then DETR examines the circumstances surrounding getting fired or laid off, reviews the employer’s taxes and decides if the filer is eligible. Once approved benefits are credited to the debit card. Individuals must continue filing weekly to maintain benefits.
Traditionally, individuals file for unemployment on Sundays. However due to limited capacity, DETR is working to stagger how claims are submitted. They have moved to a last name filing system: those with last names starting A-K file on Sundays, L-R on Mondays, and S-Z on Tuesdays. Anyone can apply Wednesday through Saturday.
If one isn’t eligible, they are still encouraged to continue filing weekly.
“We know with Pandemic Unemployment Assistance and other delays with mail, and everything else that’s going on, that there may be a circumstance change that comes up,” DETR’s Administrator for the Employment Security Division Kimberly Gaa said.
Additionally, Sisolak directed DETR to waive search requirements that require people to continue to go out to find work since many businesses are closed, and to also waive the seven-day waiting period at the beginning of filing.
Meanwhile, DETR has ramped up operations to increase capacity, nearly tripling its staff numbers with an additional 130 new employees hired to handle the claims. The state also contracted a vendor that will add another 100 full-time operators to process claims.
“These are real concerns and I hear them. I know this is hard. I get your frustration,” Sisolak said.
Additional state initiatives
Additionally, Sisolak said the state has distributed 1.9 million pieces of personal protective equipment (PPE) but still needs more. Nevada is acquiring PPE from the national stockpile or the state regional distributions formula. PPE is then being disbursed to county health districts.
Nevada also received funding to pay members of the Nevada National Guard to provide medical support, food bank and warehouse logistics, and to deliver PPE and food to tribal communities. The governor activated an additional 700 Nevada Guardsmen to meet the state’s needs during the pandemic, bringing the total Nevada Guard personnel activation to about 800 members and launching the largest effort in the state’s Guard history.
As of April 14, 59 percent of hospital beds are occupied statewide, with 10 percent being used for COVID-19 patients. Additionally, 69 percent of ICU beds are being used, a third being used for COVID-19 patients. Lastly, 39 percent of ventilators are occupied statewide.
Read more news about COVID-19 in Reno
The county reported an increasing number of deaths since last week through Wednesday. Over the last 14 days there have been 63 deaths from COVID-19.
Nevada health officials reported 1,642 new coronavirus cases and eight additional deaths on Monday, warning that the statewide surge shows few signs of slowing as the…
President Donald Trump today retweeted a false claim about Renown’s parking garage, which has been converted into a care site for COVID-19 patients.
State health officials shared an update on resources available statewide to help Nevadans with COVID-19-related mental health issues.
Washoe County reported 16 more people have died from COVID-19 since ominous warnings were given by health officials during a press call on Tuesday.
For some university students, full remote learning won’t change much in their daily lives. Previous pandemic changes have already made a dramatic impact.
Multiple officials are reporting a crisis situation in Washoe County from spiking COVID-19 cases and daily deaths.
Washoe County School District’s Board of Trustees voted yesterday to move most middle and high school students to distance learning.
City proposes using $1.3 million in COVID-19 funds to provide Talkspace therapy services for all Reno residents
The Reno City Council next week will consider an agenda item that will provide free mental health counseling to all Reno residents.
It was announced today Brent Boynton died of COVID-19 complications. A consummate professional, with an incredibly big heart, Boynton was a servant leader.