fbpx
Home > News > COVID-19 > COVID-19 cases jump to 163 in Washoe County, four have died

COVID-19 cases jump to 163 in Washoe County, four have died

By ThisIsReno
Renown coronavirus tent
Support This Is Reno
This Is Reno has been hit incredibly hard due to COVID-19. Any amount is appreciated.
$5.00
$10.00
$25.00
$100.00
$
Powered by

APRIL 1

A fourth Washoe County resident died from COVID-19, the Regional Information Center announced today. The deceased, a male, was in his 40s with an underlying health condition. The Health District also reported 20 new cases of COVID-19. Five more people have recovered.

Today’s numbers:

  • Total COVID-19 cases in Washoe County: 163
  • Deaths: 4
  • Recoveries: 18
  • Active cases: 141

MARCH 31

Washoe County announced today the number of COVID-19 cases has risen to 143. Three people have died from the virus, and 13 have recovered. Twenty people are hospitalized and there are 127 active cases.

Two more RPD officers have tested positive, and one firefighter has tested positive.

MARCH 30

March 30 update: Just after hitting publish on the update below, a third death was announced. The woman was in her 80s and had underlying health conditions

Previous update:

COVID-19 claimed another victim today in Washoe County. She was in her 30s and had an underlying health condition, the regional information center announced today.

The Washoe health district also said the total number of COVID-19 cases has reached 121, up from 107 yesterday. Ten people have recovered, making the active cases 109.

A homeless individual also was reported to have contracted the virus.

“On March 29, the Homeless Services division learned that a homeless individual had tested positive for COVID-19, the first such case in our region. The individual was discharged from a local hospital today, March 30, and is being placed today in quarantine housing where they can isolate safely,” county officials said. “The individual had previously accessed services at the Community Assistance Center (CAC) and Reno Events Center.”

MARCH 29

The Regional Information Center reported today the first death due to COVID-19 in Washoe County.  
The patient was a male in his 40s. It is not known if he had underlying health conditions.
 
“We’re devastated to learn that a Washoe County resident has died due to COVID-19,” said Kevin Dick, county health officer. “Our thoughts are with the family at this time.”

The total number of cases also climbed overnight to 107, with eight recoveries. There are 99 active cases.
 
The county’s COVID-19 continues to stress the importance of social distancing, proper hand washing with soap for 20 seconds, staying home when you are sick, self-isolation for 14 days if you have traveled out of the area and limiting contact with people outside your home, especially with those who have symptoms of cough, fever and shortness of breath.

RPD officer tests positive for COVID-19

Reno Police Department Chief Jason Soto also reported that a member of sworn personnel assigned to the Patrol Section tested positive for COVID-19.

The employee started experiencing symptoms on March 21, 2020, contacted the Health District and began to be quarantined at home. The Health District subsequently tested the employee, and yesterday RPD learned the employee tested positive.

Soto said RPD will continue increased sanitation efforts throughout the department, as well as having employees separated by division and working remotely when possible, all of which were implemented in early March to reduce exposure.


MARCH 28: The Washoe County Health District reported today that two more county residents have recovered from COVID-19 and have been released from self-isolation, increasing the count to seven recoveries.

The Health District is also reporting 18 new positive cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County, increasing the total cases to 93. There are 86 active cases.


MARCH 27: The Washoe County health department announced today that there are eight new positive COVID-19 cases. The total affected by the virus is now 75. The active count, however, is 70, since the department also noted that a fifth person has fully recovered from the coronavirus and is released from self-isolation.


MARCH 26: The Health District today announced an addition 10 cases of COVID-19 in the county. That brings to the total 67.


MARCH 25: The county Health District reported 7 additional cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County. The total number of cases is now 57.

The total number of cases that have fully recovered remains at four.


MARCH 24: The Washoe County Health District today reported six news cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County. The total is now 50.

One additional COVID-19 case has fully recovered, bringing the total recoveries in Washoe County to four.


MARCH 23, 2020: The Health District reported this evening 19 new cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County, making the total number of cases to 44.

The new 19 cases were from more than two days of testing due to the increased number of tests being submitted to the Nevada State Public Health Laboratory.

The Health District also noted in a press release that one additional confirmed COVID-19 case has fully recovered, bringing the total recoveries in Washoe County to three.


MARCH 22, 2020: A second Washoe County resident has fully recovered from COVID-19 and was released from self-isolation today, the Washoe County Health District announced. The case was a man in his 60s.

In addition, no new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Washoe County as of 4:30 p.m. Sunday, but testing is ongoing throughout the evening. The total case count in Washoe County remains at 25. That number includes all cases, both current and those who have recovered.


MARCH 21, 2020. There are three new cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County.

  • A man in his 20s who recently traveled internationally
  • A woman in her 60s who is a contact to a known case
  • A woman in her 50s who recently traveled domestically

All cases are self-isolating and are in stable condition.

The total case count in Washoe County is 25. That number includes all cases, both current and those who have recovered


MARCH 20, 2020: A Washoe County resident has fully recovered from COVID-19 and has been released from self-isolation, the Washoe County Health District (WCHD) reported. He is the first county resident who had COVID-19 to be released from self-isolation.

The Health District also announced four new cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County.

  • A woman in her 60s who recently traveled domestically
  • A woman in her 20s who recently traveled internationally
  • A man in his 70s who is hospitalized
  • A man in his 50s who is hospitalized

The two female cases are self-isolating and are in stable condition. No further information for the hospitalized patients is known at this time.

The total case count in Washoe County is 22. That number includes all cases, both current and those who have recovered.


March 19, 2020: The Washoe County Health District (WCHD) confirmed four new cases of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), bringing the total number of cases in Washoe County to 18.

The four new cases are:

  • A woman in her 60s with recent travel history.
  • A woman in her 30s who had close contact to a previously identified case in Washoe County.
  • A man in his 70s with recent travel history.
  • A woman in her 60s with recent travel history. This case contracted COVID-19 in a different state and is self-isolating there.

All cases are self-isolating and are in stable condition


MARCH 18, 2020: The Washoe County Health District today announced the number of COVID-19 cases in the county has jumped to 14.

From the county:

The two new cases are:

  • A man in his 30s with recent travel Europe
  • A man in his 30s with recent travel to Washington

Both cases are self-isolating and are in stable condition.

Previous update

WCHD has received three additional cases of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), increasing the total in Washoe County to 12.

  • A man in his 60s with recent travel to the Bay Area in California.
  • A man in his 60s with close contact to a previously-identified case in Washoe County.
  • A woman in her 30s who traveled to Europe.

All cases are self-isolating and are in stable condition. The Health District is investigating and working to identify close risk contacts to prevent community spread of the disease. Due to medical privacy requirements and to protect their identity, no further information about the case will be released.

Cruise Ship Passengers

All Washoe County residents who flew from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar to Reno-Tahoe International Airport on Sunday have been safely transported to their residences. All residents who returned were screened upon arrival and showed no symptoms of COVID-19. The residents were tested for COVID-19 before they flew home and we should get those results soon. No Washoe County passengers have tested positive for COVID-19. WCHD staff, who performed the screenings, drove the vehicles and wore personal protective equipment. Precautions were taken to ensure that the returning residents had no contact with any public spaces and those efforts were successful.

COVID-19 Call Center

We are receiving an influx of calls to our call center and working very hard to answer them with limited wait times. We ask for patience from the community. As a reminder, residents who have traveled outside Nevada can also fill out an online form, which can be found here.

COVID-19 Testing

WCHD is continuing its drive-through testing. Our epidemiologists are screening those who are high risk. The Governor’s Office is working with State and Federal partners to address the shortage in Nevada on test kits and efforts to increase testing to more residents. Information about the testing process can be found here (en Espanol).

We need your help to survive COVID-19

A note from our publisher

This Is Reno, like most other news outlets, has been hit incredibly hard by COVID-19. We have cut back on some important news coverage; however, we are continuing to provide daily news on COVID-19’s impacts on the Reno area. These articles are provided free of charge and outside of our paywall. If you help, any amount is appreciated — whether a donation, subscription or advertising your business with This Is Reno.

Read more news about COVID-19 in Reno

State hit with ‘unprecedented’ number of unemployment claims

“We are seeing numbers we haven’t seen in history. I know its hard to hear. Please be patient.” March 27 update: A statement from Governor Steve Sisolak: The Nevada Department of Employment, Training, and Rehabilitation (DETR) has been working hard to manage an unprecedented increase in unemployment claims and have taken steps, like expanding staff…

Continue reading

Photos: Reno self-isolates

Photographer Trevor Bexon spent time documenting what has become part of the new normal amid the COVID-19 pandemic, including closed bars and restaurants, hospital triage tents, and empty store shelves.

Continue reading

Related

Leave a Comment

* This Is Reno only publishes comments by those who include real first and last names. Anonymous comments and comments using fake names will not be published. By using this form, you agree to abide by our commenting policy found linked at the bottom of this page, and you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

1 comments

Avatar
Connie Citizo March 24, 2020 - 9:16 am

All of this sacrifice by residents of Nevada, yet Burning Man refuses to cancel? How tone deaf can they be?

Reply
Share via
Send this to a friend