Well, here we are again. A weekly events round-up with no events to speak of. We’re digging deep this week, but isn’t that what everyone’s doing right now — digging deep to find the patience and compassion to stay home? So to fill that time, we’ve come up with seven more things to do this week:
- Start a recipe exchange. While we’re all working to support local restaurants by ordering to-go and delivery meals, we’re also cooking at home a lot more. A recipe exchange with friends and family can help you mix up your dinner routine and maybe even find a few new favorites. We’ll start! Editor Kristen loves making Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Gruyere, but substitutes sweet potatoes for the Yukon golds. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/scalloped_potatoes_with_caramelized_onions_and_gruyere/
- Pick your candidates. Nevada’s primary election is June 9, giving you plenty of time to peruse the list of people running for local, statewide, and national offices, research their policy positions, and choose who you’ll be voting for. The Washoe County Registrar of Voters has a list of candidates at: https://www.washoecounty.us/voters/elections/20electioninformation/candidates/index.php
- Create a gallery of Zoom backgrounds to fit your moods, your meeting theme, or just to hide the mess in your home office. Free templates are available at Canva.com and you can find royalty-free images at sites like Pixabay and Unsplash.
- Take a photo stroll. With fewer cars and people on the roads it’s easier to see the everyday wonders all around you. Get out your camera, take a socially distant walk around your neighborhood, and capture photos of things you’ve never noticed before. Bonus: use the photos to create a sort of scavenger hunt for your friends, family or neighbors on their next walk.
- Focus on your well-being. Research shows the average person feels they experience an unhealthy level of stress, and that was before the life-altering impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Take a time out for yourself and build in a few healthy habits to help yourself weather this storm, because we care about you. Get tips at: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/think-act-be/202004/why-am-i-stressed-and-anxious-all-the-time
- Check out This Is Reno’s latest podcast. http://thisisreno.com/2020/04/podcast-deep-inside-covid-19-testing/
- Build a Rube Goldberg machine. Can you top The Quarantine Machine?
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.