fbpx
Home > News > Decoy coyote in SE Reno being confused for stranded dog

Decoy coyote in SE Reno being confused for stranded dog

By Carla O'Day

Feature Image: Dan O’Day

A decoy coyote that’s been in the wetlands for a least a year along the Southeast Connector is being mistaken for a helpless dog by passerby motorists, according to authorities that handle animal issues.

Washoe County Regional Animal Services has received several calls regarding the decoy in the marsh at the northeast corner of Veterans Parkway and Pembroke Drive.

County communications specialist Amy Ventetuolo said animal control staff sent a field officer to inspect the decoy and discovered it wasn’t real.

decoy coyote
A decoy coyote near the Southeast Connector.
Image: Dan O’Day

“They do agree, it is confusing for the public, as this is easy to mistake for a real dog,” Ventetuolo said.

The Nevada Department of Wildlife’s urban wildlife coordinator has received similar calls, said NDOW spokeswoman Ashley Sanchez.

“Motorists call her thinking it’s real, but it does not belong to us,” Sanchez said.

The decoy was placed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to deter geese and gulls. The Regional Transportation Commission of Washoe County owns the land. Such birds reportedly had been landing in that area before heading toward Reno-Tahoe International Airport.

Birds can be hazardous to airplanes but can be attracted to airports because airports are often surrounded by undeveloped stretches of land. According to a Reno airport newsletter, a large goose or gull can take out a windshield, a prop, or cause damage to a wing or tail. Smaller birds in large flocks can also disrupt and or damage aircraft.

“Airport operations personnel also work with the USDA Wildlife Services biologists to monitor and minimize wildlife activity and identifying those species endangered or protected under state and federal laws and regulations,” the airport newsletter states.

We need your help to survive COVID-19

A note from our publisher

This Is Reno, like most other news outlets, has been hit incredibly hard by COVID-19. We have cut back on some important news coverage; however, we are continuing to provide daily news on COVID-19’s impacts on the Reno area. These articles are provided free of charge and outside of our paywall. If you help, any amount is appreciated — whether a donation, subscription or advertising your business with This Is Reno.

Read more news about COVID-19 in Reno

State hit with ‘unprecedented’ number of unemployment claims

“We are seeing numbers we haven’t seen in history. I know its hard to hear. Please be patient.” March 27 update: A statement from Governor Steve Sisolak: The Nevada Department of Employment, Training, and Rehabilitation (DETR) has been working hard to manage an unprecedented increase in unemployment claims and have taken steps, like expanding staff…

Continue reading

Photos: Reno self-isolates

Photographer Trevor Bexon spent time documenting what has become part of the new normal amid the COVID-19 pandemic, including closed bars and restaurants, hospital triage tents, and empty store shelves.

Continue reading

Related

Leave a Comment

* This Is Reno only publishes comments by those who include real first and last names. Anonymous comments and comments using fake names will not be published. By using this form, you agree to abide by our commenting policy found linked at the bottom of this page, and you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

Share via
Send this to a friend