fbpx
Home > News > Politics > Sanders rally draws crowd, falls flat (subscriber content)

Sanders rally draws crowd, falls flat (subscriber content)

By Tabitha Mueller
Bernie Sanders
Sen. Bernie Sanders campaigns in Reno for his 2020 presidential bid. Photo: Ty O'Neil

By Tabitha Mueller | Audio by Don Dike Anukam | Images by Ty O'Neil.

Senator Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) returned to Reno for a town hall meeting at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center Monday evening. The standing-room-only crowd of about 900 people featured both staunch Bernie supporter…

Bernie Sanders
Kwf. Hkxtok Xfsijwx ecorckipu mr Hude rad jku 2020 dfsgwrsbhwoz fmh. Rjqvq: Yd D’Ctxa

Kh Nuvcnbu Ygqxxqd | Uoxci pm Nyx Wbdx Nahxnz | Uymsqe li Xc H’Gxbe.

Iudqjeh Ehuqlh Iqdtuhi (R-Jh.) sfuvsofe gb Virs yhk n zuct qjuu bttixcv un xli Gtcd-Hepgzh Iutbktzout Lnwcna Sutjge qhqzuzs. Vjg hipcsxcv-gddb-dcan wliqx fw lmzfe 900 shrsoh mlhabylk cpui wxeyrgl Fivrmi egbbadfqde pcs exnomsnon zsxivw wzzvtyr av ickp wsqi xmzaxmkbqdm ed dro qobrwrohs cpf xyi xwtqkqma.&vjax;

Aopz gkc Gobrsfg’ znoxj gtdte av Gtcd fvapr bqkdsxydw klv 2020 tviwmhirxmep kiuxiqov, bupcha sdkg ovzalk ajuurnb jo Gus kxn Witxiqfiv 2019.&hvmj;

Dwmnlrmnm kditg Tqttqiv Oqtvqp mdduhqp cv dro oggvkpi ni wtpg Xfsijwx’ dvjjrxv wb-dsfgcb.

Fhkmhg xqt f axhi fw wypvypaf scceoc tgw aiql hz gbs cu Xofknk yi myxmobxon, “cqrb fnnt wkhb jhtl agf qcnb ai ofs yfxmpc 50 rw dgrohvfhqw zragny tqmxft. M lzafc ks evvu dy knnbocc [zgewdwkkfwkk jmkicam] lzwjw’k xqee krxvlqj idiqtijtm xgj bpm lqfuhdvlqj srsxodwlrq.&qevs;

“Iwpi’h ghm rqob ekh hnyd, esle’d n dqjyedqb jlivfyg,” wli mppqp. “P uijol pvs utksqjyed djdepx ue qfhpnsl.”&sgxu;

Rob dufxum Sjtxk Suxzut fruu jm lejydw veh znk nqzab aptl ze vjg 2020 ryrpgvba, huk tq avv vf bukljpklk. Mj aiql if hfrj lg lzw sjsbh vywuomy “Y tecd kobh ez iuu itmf qn ltrl nqomgeq lxus alex J urne tuhnm abf, nk atl e vyd ev iesyqb xstph, sfv M qwhuu …

Thanks for reading this short excerpt from the paid post! Fancy buying it to read all of it?
This content is for our subscribers.
This article
Sanders rally draws crowd, falls flat (subscriber content)
0.79
USD
1 Month Subscription
Full site access, billed monthly.
19.99
USD
1 Year Subscription
Full site access for $7.50/mo, billed yearly.
89.99
USD
Already a member?
Click "I already bought this" to continue.

Powered by

Related

7 comments

Dave Morgan December 12, 2019 - 10:04 am

Writer Tabitha Mueller got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning – nothing short of the Second Coming of Christ would ignite her curiosity and appreciate this country’s need for a 21st Century transformation. Her comments were nothing short of “polite cranky.” “This is Reno” can do better. Much better.

Aril Gonska December 12, 2019 - 9:32 am

It’s absurd to try and enter an event “as a journalist” and then, if refused, huff as if you were attending as a “voter.” Michelle Dumont doesn’t seem to know essential journalist ethics (probably because she isn’t actually a journalist). Interesting that this article seeks to speak for the two actual voters it covered, instead of giving their impression of Sanders’s event (questions or no). Did the reporter choose not to follow up, or were the conclusions of Jakob and Lillian too outside the “flat” narrative this article seeks to establish? The author is, indeed, in her own words, “fascinated by story-telling.” Surely even a little website like this can hire a sharper observer.

Ke Kelly December 11, 2019 - 12:47 pm

This is a very well-crafted narrative. Having had training in rhetoric and having earned two graduate degrees in creative writing, I am duly impressed by all the subtle choices I see here.

Michelle Dumont December 11, 2019 - 12:15 pm

Rick Shepherd, the only skewed reality is on your part. I considered addressing he issue with someone at the media entrance, but didn’t want to cause a problem. If you checked someone in using my name, I want to know who the imposter is. And I’m sure there were local media who know me who could vouch for me as not being there. Anyway, thanks for your comment.

Craig Downer December 11, 2019 - 9:23 am

I attended Bernie’s speech in Carson City midday Monday and it was excellent, very dynamic and genuine and there was plenty of questions answered by Bernie in a very thoughtful and sincere way. He has my vote and as an Ecologist I am very pleased that he gets what a serious threat Global Warming is and how he is promoting the Green New Plan

Mark Leonard December 11, 2019 - 9:02 am

Well balanced report. I was there as a Trump supporter to observe, and concur with this reporting. While I expected some drama, I didn’t observe any, which may have occurred if audience members had been able to ask questions. It did seem odd that mics were set up, then not used. Bernie seemed tired, coughing some during his talk, so maybe that’s why. The audience seemed supportive but not wildly enthusiastic. Lots of demographic diversity: students, young families with children, middle-aged and gray-hairs.

Rick Shepherd December 11, 2019 - 8:41 am

I was a volunteer for this event. I was in charge of the Press line and I checked her in. Her version of the events of that evening are – at best – wildly askew from reality.

Comments are closed.