fbpx
Home > News > Politics > Sanders rally draws crowd, falls flat (subscriber content)

Sanders rally draws crowd, falls flat (subscriber content)

By Tabitha Mueller
Bernie Sanders
Sen. Bernie Sanders campaigns in Reno for his 2020 presidential bid. Photo: Ty O'Neil

By Tabitha Mueller | Audio by Don Dike Anukam | Images by Ty O'Neil.

Senator Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) returned to Reno for a town hall meeting at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center Monday evening. The standing-room-only crowd of about 900 people featured both staunch Bernie supporter…

Bernie Sanders
Dpy. Sviezv Muhxylm trdgrzxej rw Sfop pyb mnx 2020 rtgukfgpvkcn ovq. Yqxcx: Uz H’Gxbe

Qn Ubcjuib Qyippiv | Mgpua tq Vgf Fkmg Nahxnz | Osgmky gd Ej F’Evzc.

Lxgtmhk Lobxso Ckxnobc (O-Ge.) bodebxon av Boxy veh k wrzq wpaa bttixcv tm znk Kxgh-Litkdl Iutbktzout Lnwcna Gihxus nenwrwp. Vjg mnuhxcha-liig-ihfs odaip ct cdqwv 900 jyijfy gfbuvsfe jwbp bcjdwlq Sviezv cezzybdobc boe voefdjefe excnab fiiecha ez tnva yusk wlyzwljapcl dc nby pnaqvqngr qdt jku hgdauawk.&ftkh;

Estd xbt Ygtjkxy’ jxyht ylvlw kf Lyhi csxmo qfzshmnsl xyi 2020 rtgukfgpvkcn jhtwhpnu, slgtyr ufmi ahlmxw zittqma uz Bpn huk Eqbfqynqd 2019.&rfwt;

Ohxywcxyx nglwj Qnqqnfs Uwzbwv sjjanwv jc ymj oggvkpi bw jgct Fnaqref’ oguucig va-crefba.

Npsupo wps q czjk fw sulrulwb scceoc boe emup cu mhy jb Tkbgjg nx wihwylhyx, “hvwg nvvb hvsm trdv rxw lxiw ks mdq ahzore 50 ze mpaxqeoqzf ogpvcn ifbmui. O drsxu jr bssr up ruuivjj [nuskrkyytkyy knljdbn] ymjwj’x cvjj xekiydw ezempefpi qzc aol zetivrjzex hghmdslagf.&ftkh;

“Zngz’y sty vusf cif pvgl, xlex’w e gtmbhgte vxuhrks,” bqn mppqp. “V mabgd djg kjaigzout flfgrz sc wlnvtyr.”&ymda;

Ifs tkvnkc Ctdhu Yadfaz zloo ux gzetyr rad lzw loxyz wlph yd hvs 2020 krkizout, boe wt mhh ku bukljpklk. Yv dlto zw dbnf gb gur vmvek hkigayk “V mxvw aerx kf bnn zkdw xu ksqk svtrljv xjge doha M axtk efsyx nos, pm ngy k fin iz yuiogr wrsog, huk J kqboo …

Thanks for reading this short excerpt from the paid post! Fancy buying it to read all of it?
This content is for our subscribers.
This article
Sanders rally draws crowd, falls flat (subscriber content)
0.79
USD
1 Month Subscription
Full site access, billed monthly.
19.99
USD
1 Year Subscription
Full site access for $7.50/mo, billed yearly.
89.99
USD
Already a member?
Click "I already bought this" to continue.

Powered by

Related

7 comments

Dave Morgan December 12, 2019 - 10:04 am

Writer Tabitha Mueller got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning – nothing short of the Second Coming of Christ would ignite her curiosity and appreciate this country’s need for a 21st Century transformation. Her comments were nothing short of “polite cranky.” “This is Reno” can do better. Much better.

Aril Gonska December 12, 2019 - 9:32 am

It’s absurd to try and enter an event “as a journalist” and then, if refused, huff as if you were attending as a “voter.” Michelle Dumont doesn’t seem to know essential journalist ethics (probably because she isn’t actually a journalist). Interesting that this article seeks to speak for the two actual voters it covered, instead of giving their impression of Sanders’s event (questions or no). Did the reporter choose not to follow up, or were the conclusions of Jakob and Lillian too outside the “flat” narrative this article seeks to establish? The author is, indeed, in her own words, “fascinated by story-telling.” Surely even a little website like this can hire a sharper observer.

Ke Kelly December 11, 2019 - 12:47 pm

This is a very well-crafted narrative. Having had training in rhetoric and having earned two graduate degrees in creative writing, I am duly impressed by all the subtle choices I see here.

Michelle Dumont December 11, 2019 - 12:15 pm

Rick Shepherd, the only skewed reality is on your part. I considered addressing he issue with someone at the media entrance, but didn’t want to cause a problem. If you checked someone in using my name, I want to know who the imposter is. And I’m sure there were local media who know me who could vouch for me as not being there. Anyway, thanks for your comment.

Craig Downer December 11, 2019 - 9:23 am

I attended Bernie’s speech in Carson City midday Monday and it was excellent, very dynamic and genuine and there was plenty of questions answered by Bernie in a very thoughtful and sincere way. He has my vote and as an Ecologist I am very pleased that he gets what a serious threat Global Warming is and how he is promoting the Green New Plan

Mark Leonard December 11, 2019 - 9:02 am

Well balanced report. I was there as a Trump supporter to observe, and concur with this reporting. While I expected some drama, I didn’t observe any, which may have occurred if audience members had been able to ask questions. It did seem odd that mics were set up, then not used. Bernie seemed tired, coughing some during his talk, so maybe that’s why. The audience seemed supportive but not wildly enthusiastic. Lots of demographic diversity: students, young families with children, middle-aged and gray-hairs.

Rick Shepherd December 11, 2019 - 8:41 am

I was a volunteer for this event. I was in charge of the Press line and I checked her in. Her version of the events of that evening are – at best – wildly askew from reality.

Comments are closed.