A series of campfire programs is scheduled to start Friday and continue weekly through much of this summer at Eagle Meadow at Galena Creek Regional Park, 18250 Mount Rose Highway.
The family-style entertainment event begins with marshmallow roastings at 8 p.m. and programs starting at 8:30 p.m. The schedule is as follows:
- June 21 – Brother Dan Palmer, modern Americana music
- June 28 – Sage Creek, bluegrass
- July 5 – Tony Argento, cowboy poetry
- July 12 – Aria 51 on the ukulele
- July 19 – Nevada Department of Agriculture discusses forest moths
- July 26 – Stargazing with the Astronomical Society of Nevada
- Aug. 2 – Agriculture department discusses Nevada’s fish
Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space and Artown are putting on the events.
Those attending are asked to use the park’s north entrance and to bring blankets or low-back chairs for sitting. Organizers also recommend bug repellent and flashlights. Outside food and beverages are allowed. Pets must be leashed.
Admission is free but donations are accepted.
For more information, call 775-849-2511 or visit
Carla has an undergraduate degree in journalism and more than 10 years experience as a daily newspaper reporter. She grew up in Jacksonville, Fla., moved to the Reno area in 2002 and wrote for the Reno Gazette-Journal for 8 years, covering a variety of topics. Prior to that, she covered local government in Fort Pierce, Fla.