The Reno Fire Department is encouraging the public to avoid recreation activities in area rivers.
- River flows are extremely fast this year, and river recreation by the general public is not advised at this time.
- Consider waiting to float or swim the Truckee River until flows subside.
- An unprepared person entering the water may experience hypothermia within several minutes, affecting their ability to swim and make decisions, leading to drowning.
- If you do decide to go in the river, always wear a life jacket, helmet, thermal protection and sturdy shoes for river recreation.
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs when boating or tubing.
- Never go into the river alone.
- Have a plan and a rendezvous point in case you become separated.
- Let a friend or family member know when you plan to return.
SOURCE: Reno Fire Department