The sixth annual Northern Nevada Diversity Summit is scheduled April 11 at the University of Nevada, Reno and will address topics that include how to build bridges in a changing world.
Workshops and panels will be held throughout the day on the third and fourth floors of the Joe Crowley Student Union.
Noor Tagouri, a Libyan-American journalist, is the planned keynote speaker.
The schedule is as follows:
- 8 a.m. Registration
- 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. Opening statements
- 9:15 to 9:30 a.m. Break
- 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (occurring simultaneously) Top 5 diversity strategies from Harvard; bilingualism: building bridges between cultures; strengthening tribal-academic partnerships; and understanding autism
- 10:30 to 10:45 a.m. Break
- 10:45 to 11:45 a.m. (occurring simultaneously) Building Employee Diversity Engagement Network at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas; mindful health support for at-risk populations; cultural competencies in fitness and sport; cypher: peer relationships among black men
- 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Lunch and 11 walkway poster sessions
- 1:15 to 2 p.m. Lecture by Rabbi Sara Zober
- 2 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. Break
- 2:!5 to 3:15 p.m. (occurring simultaneously) Ladders to leadership; crossing the queer bridge; I hear you: listening as a groundwork for dialogue; and change starts with me: unveiling privilege
- 3:15 to 3:30 p.m. Break
- 3:30 to 4:35 p.m. (occurring simultaneously) Perceptions of students with hidden disabilities and disability, identity and language; bilingualism as an asset for STEM/health education and “I am an invisible man;” more than core: piloting women’s studies in high school and engaging students in diversity and inclusion; and out of the classroom: contemporary challenges and our students are our bridges to the changing world
- 7 to 9 p.m. Keynote address by Noor Tagouri
Information on sessions: https://www.unr.edu/Documents/president/diversity-committees/2019%20Online%20Summit%20Program(1).pdf
Information on the summit: call 775-784-4805 or visit