Sixteen qualified applicants have submitted applications to Washoe County in hopes of becoming the Nevada Assembly’s newest member. Assemblyman Mike Sprinkle of Sparks resigned his District 30 seat last week amid allegations of harassment. He was elected to the seat in 2012 and was serving his fourth 2-year term.
To qualify for consideration, applicants must have met the following requirements: be age 21 or older, registered to vote, reside in Assembly District 30 and be of the same political party of the reigning member. Sprinkle is a Democrat.
The appointee will be named at 3 p.m. on March 26 during the Washoe County Commission meeting at 1001 E. Ninth St., Building A. He or she will finish the remainder of Sprinkle’s term and must run in the November 2020 election if they wish to retain the seat.
Applicants (in alphabetical order) and their current employers as they reported to Washoe County are as follows:
- Natha Clyde Anderson – schoolteacher and president of the Washoe Education Association
- Laura Bayer – Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority executive assistant
- Deborah Ann Chicago – works for Exceed Inc., an electronic news outlet
- Elvira Diaz –
communityorganizer with Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada and restaurant cashier
- Jenna Garcia –
attorneywith Washoe County Alternate Public Defender’s Office
- Joseph Giampapa – author/speaker and former UNR professor
- Jonathon Haley – Washoe County Human Services social worker
- Debra Lynn Harrie – teacher at Wooster High School
- Thor Kevin Jensen – retired officer, U.S. Navy
- Javier Lara-Renteria – sales and customer service professional
- Emerson Marcus – Nevada Air National Guard public affairs officer and command historian with the Nevada National Guard Joint Force Headquarters
- Leslie Ann Mix – former president/CEO of Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Northern Nevada
- Nancy Price – retired chief master sergeant, Nevada Air National Guard
- Evan Pritsos – Western Nevada College adjunct professor
- Greg Smith – husband of late Nevada State Sen. Debbie Smith
- Wendy Stolyarov – director of government affairs and enterprise account executive for Filament, a Reno-based startup
Never Miss a Story
Get award-winning, homegrown Reno news in your inbox.