By Don Dike Anukam and Bob Conrad
Washoe County yesterday announced it started the process to fill the Assembly District 30 seat made vacant by Mike Sprinkle’s sudden departure earlier this week.
Sprinkle resigned after allegations of sexual harassment were made against him.
Governor Steve Sisolak strongly denounced Sprinkle’s behavior.
“I am profoundly disgusted and outraged by Mr. Sprinkle’s reported abuse and misconduct. Let me be perfectly clear: sexual harassment is never to be tolerated – especially by an elected official entrusted to serve the public,” Sisolak said in a statement to the news media “I commend the courage of those who came forward to report Mr. Sprinkle’s behavior, and I encourage and support anyone who is made to feel uncomfortable to voice their concerns.”
The county yesterday received notification from Sisolak’s office to move forward with the appointment process for the democratic seat.
“Time is of the essence,” said County Commissioner Vaughn Hartung.
A statement from the county:
An application and information will be available on Washoe County’s website or available in person at the Washoe County Complex, Office of the County Manager at 1001 E. Ninth St., Reno 89512, Bldg. A, 2nd Floor, Room 201, by noon Friday, March 15.
Once completed, the application may be submitted via email to Dana Searcy at [email protected] or in person at the Washoe County Complex, Office of the County Manager 1001 E. Ninth St., Reno 89512, Bldg. A, 2nd Floor, Room 201.
The deadline is March 19, 2019.
Applicants must reside in the district, be 21 years old or older and must be a registered
“Because the Nevada legislature is in session, Washoe County is working to get this seat filled as quickly as possible so the residents of District 30 are fully represented during this period,” said Washoe County Manager John Slaughter.
The earliest the commission will consider a new appointment is at its next scheduled meeting on March 26, 2019.
Never Miss a Story
Get award-winning, homegrown Reno news in your inbox.