Community leaders gathered today to formally announce that the The Village on Sage Street will open in the next few months.
More than 200 affordable, dorm-style units are anticipated to be open by Thanksgiving, project leaders said today.
The $8.3 million project was hatched in April and has quickly become a reality. About a hundred people gathered at the site at 250 Sage Street to celebrate the project.
According to the Volunteers of America: “The Village is primarily designed to serve working people earning minimum wage, or those with other income sources such as social security or disability, as a low-income housing option. The Village will provide a foundation and stability for its residents and contribute to the overall well being of the entire community.”
The Village is designed for working individuals with an income of less than $3,000 per month. The Community Foundation of Western Nevada is seeking donations to complete the project: https://nevadafund.org/causes/village-sage-street/.
The VOA, which will operate the property, is accepting applications for the $400 per month units: https://www.voa-ncnn.org/sagestreet
Watch a video below of today’s press conference.
Information from the VOA
- The project is a collaborative effort between City of Reno, Community Foundation of Northern Nevada, and Volunteers of America Northern Calif. & Northern Nev.
- The community is comprised of several pre-fabricated modular buildings with adjacent onsite parking.
- The 200 individual private single occupancy units which include a built-in bed, closet, desk, and flat screen television.
- Residents utilize shared bathroom facilities and have access to a communal kitchen.
- The Village also has onsite laundry, meeting and recreation spaces, is WI-fi compatible, and provides an outdoor gathering area.
- Must be an individual at least 18 years old
- Have income of at least $1,300 per month and not more than $3,000 per month