Mayor Hillary Schieve Providing Introductory Comments
Reno’s independent and locally owned news sources are meeting March 15 for a forum to discuss challenges and opportunities faced in today’s media climate.
“We often don’t get much credit for being newsbreakers, but collectively these independent sources, such as blogs, magazines, and online news sites, have for years been filling niches while corporate-owned news sources have focused less on local news and more on content from out-of-state networks,” said organizer Bob Conrad of ThisisReno.
Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve will give the introduction.
“(Independent media) are now more important that ever for credibility … and to engage a local community,” she said.
Confirmed participants include:
- Nico Colombant, Our Town Reno
- Oliver X, Reno Tahoe Tonight’s Fan Page
- Lynnette Bellin, Reno Moms Blog
- Samantha Szesciorka, Sagebrush Rider
- Amanda Burden, Edible Reno-Tahoe Magazine
- Bob Conrad, This Is Reno
- Dana Nollsch, Reno Arts News
- Mike McDowell, Reno Dads
- Michelle Billman, Reno Public Radio
- Brad Bynum, Reno News & Review
The group held a similar forum two years ago. Topics anticipated to be covered include:
- Is locally owned media an antidote to so-called “fake news”?
- How can we further invest in our local economy while corporate news serves out-of-state interests?
- What kind of content is considered off limits?
- How can we adapt to and exploit new platforms and tech?
- What do independent publications need to survive and thrive?
The event is as the Innevation Center, 450 Sinclair Street, at 3 p.m. on Thursday, March 15, 2018.
Advanced tickets are required and may be purchased online: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/reno-independent-media-forum-tickets-43378750009
Seating is limited.