The University of Nevada Cooperative Extension has scheduled a series of “Grow Your Own, Nevada!” workshops statewide that start next month and are geared toward those wishing to raise more of their own food.
In-person sessions are from 6 to 8 p.m. at the local Cooperative Extension office, 4995 Energy Way.
- April 3: Selecting and caring for fruit trees
- April 5: Gardening in Nevada soils and composting basics
- April 10: Vegetable garden pollinators and other beneficial insects
- April 12: Identifying and controlling common garden weeds
- April 17: Critter and insect pests of the garden and landscape
- April 19: Raised beds 101
- April 24: Greenhouse/hoop house – designing and building
- April 26: Greenhouse/hoop house – how to grow vegetable crops
People in Battle Mountain, Carson City, Elko, Ely, Eureka, Fallon, Hawthorne, Lovelock, Winnemuca, and Yerington can watch via interactive video at their local extension offices.
Fees are $15 per class or $60 for eight sessions. Costs cover supplies, materials, and refreshments. A discount is available for those who teach kindergarten through high school. Participants completing all classes will receive a USB flash drive containing gardening resources.
Those wishing to attend are asked to register online at http://www.growyourownnevada.com or call 775-784-4848.
Anyone needing special accommodations or assistance can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 775-336-0249 at least three days prior to the first day of the course.