There is no silver bullet that will solve homelessness. But there are many solutions that can reduce houselessness.
Our 5th episode, and the finale of our first season, covers some of what Reno locals are doing — and recommending — to solve the city’s homeless crisis.
We speak with houseless individuals, advocates, Reno’s chief of police, and nonprofits about what can be done.
We also visit Washoe County’s Crossroads program, which has a high success rate but a lengthy waiting list.
Solutions #5 relied heavily on the following sources:
1. “A History of Homelessness in America,” a presentation by Steve Carlson, Psy.D.
2. “The History of Homeless in America, 1640s to present” by Downtown Congregations to End Homelessness. www.dceh.org/the-history-of-hom…-1640s-to-present/
3. “Homelessness in America” by the National Alliance to End Homelessness. endhomelessness.org/homelessness-in-america/
4. “Amid booming economy, homelessness soars on US West Coast.” Associated Press, Nov. 9, 2017. www.apnews.com/d480434bbacd4b028ff13cd1e7cea155
5. “Driven Out.” Pacific Standard. July 31, 2017. psmag.com/social-justice/driven-out
6. “Bussed Out: How America moves its homeless.” The Guardian UK, Dec. 20, 2017. www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-inte…e-country-study
Never Miss a Story
Get award-winning, homegrown Reno news in your inbox.