22.2 F

McDonalds Restaurant in Sparks Temporarily Closes, then Re-opens


McDonald's inside of Walmart in Sparks
McDonald’s inside of Walmart in Sparks. Photo: Carla O’Day

An incident Monday at a McDonalds in Sparks forced its temporary closure, but the restaurant re-opened Tuesday afternoon.

The ansul fire suppression system went off at 1:55 p.m. at the McDonalds inside Walmart Supercenter, 5065 Pyramid Way.

“The ansul system above the fryers dispersed flame retardant, but there were no flames,” McDonalds spokesman Nate Haderline said in an e-mail. “Anytime the ansul system goes off, the health department is alerted. After closing the restaurant as a precaution yesterday, the health department and fire inspector came out and cleared the restaurant to reopen today.”

Haderline said there were no injuries from the incident. The owner-operator of the restaurant is working to figure out why the system was set off, he said.

Carla O'Day
Carla O'Day
Carla has an undergraduate degree in journalism and more than 10 years experience as a daily newspaper reporter. She grew up in Jacksonville, Fla., moved to the Reno area in 2002 and wrote for the Reno Gazette-Journal for 8 years, covering a variety of topics. Prior to that, she covered local government in Fort Pierce, Fla.