ThisisReno’s Top Stories of 2015
Last year was one of unprecedented growth for us.
While ThisisReno is a leader in local news — it’s fun to watch the big players dovetail on our stories — we are nowhere near the top.
It’s a position that allows us to cover news in our own way, an approach that is focused strictly on our community.
Not national politics. Not cat videos (unless it’s an awesome Reno cat, of course). Not syndicated content from other, out-of-town media.
Yep, we’re homegrown — “hyper local” in journo jargon — and we like that. We hope you do too.
Certainly what’s called hyper-local news is a kind of return to the old days of journalism. Dylan Smith, publisher of TusconSentinal.com wrote about this recently over at Harvard’s The Neiman Lab. He said:
Back when local news was a healthy business proposition, newspapers and radio outlets were locally owned — usually by a family or small ownership group. Their publishers were invested in their communities, not just seeking to profit from them and ship pallets of money out of town.
“What we need is not more reporters and editors working for lumbering chain media, but instead more local news entrepreneurs who can bring together teams with business smarts, reporting chops, and deep community knowledge to kick ass, take names, and cash checks.”
He’s right of course. Most all of the larger media companies in the Reno area — yes, including the weekly — are owned by out-of-state corporations. Mired in structure and formula, cloaked in high journalistic principles when it serves an insular interest and often driven by a bizarre click economy, much gets lost in this market when not focusing on what is truly local.
At the end of the day, it is hoped ThisisReno can help provide some of that voice, that focus; if it’s duplicated elsewhere, all the better.
With that in mind, here are some of our top posts of 2015, many of which were only covered on our site.
Shout out to our awesome team of freelancers, funders, advisers, volunteers and our media partner, Reno Public Radio. Without them, none of this would happen. Thanks too to all of our advertisers — advertise local! — who also make ThisisReno possible.
Enjoy, and happy new year!
- BVW Jewelers Commercial Creates Stir: Watch It Here
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Being Homeless in Reno
- Reno’s Alleged Tie in “The Zola Story” (NSFW)
- VIDEO: KTVN’s John Potter Gets Awesome With Amazon Sex Toys Theory
- COMPLETE VIDEO: “Thriller” Under the Arch
- Let’s Break This Down: Why Would Anybody Want to Transition?
- Former Post Office, 50 South Virginia, Holds Open House: Get Details Here
- VIDEO: REMSA Attempts to Shut Down Videotaping of Police Detainment of Individual in Midtown
- North Valleys Targeted for Development, But Can The Area Handle More Growth?
- Homeless in Limbo After Complaints Shut Down Feeding Site on Fourth Street
[clickToTweet tweet=”A Year in Review: @ThisisReno’s Top Stories from 2015″ quote=”A Year in Review: Our Top Stories from 2015″]