RPD NEWS — Members of the Regional Street Enforcement Team (SET) conducted an underage compliance operation during this weekend’s River Walk District’s Wine Walk.
The operation was funded with federal grant funds secured by our partner; Join Together Northern Nevada (JTNN).
Earlier this month, JTNN and Quest Counseling provided free alcohol server training and Alcohol Awareness Training cards (required by law for servers) to 23 Wine Walk employees and volunteers. JTNN, Quest Counseling, and the Reno police department will continue to work with and provide resources to our downtown alcohol establishments to prevent and deter underage drinking.
Four underage volunteers/decoys, ages 16, 17, and two 19 year old, participated with the operation. In all instances, the volunteers provided their true state issued identifications for age verification, if asked.
The underage decoys visited fifteen businesses and were served alcohol at three of those locations.
The following businesses passed the operation and did not serve the underage volunteers alcohol:
- Chocolate Bar, located at 95 North Sierra St.
- Pizanos Pizza, located at 26 W. 2nd St.
- Ole Bridge Pub, located at 50 N. Sierra St. Ste. #5
- The Jungle Café, located at 246 West 1st St.
- Imperial Bar and Lounge, located at 150 North Arlington Ave.
- 5 Star Saloon, located at 132 West St.
- Pizza Reno, located at 26 W. 2nd St.
- Se7en on West, located at 148 West St.
- The Waterfall, located at 134 W. 2nd St.
- Sierra Tap House, located at 253 W. 1st St.
- Silver Peak Grill and Taproom, located at 135 N. Sierra St.
- La Terre Verte, located at 11 N. Sierra St. #11
The following businesses failed the operation by serving alcohol to underage volunteer(s):
- West Street Wine Bar, located at 148 West St.
- Reno eNVy, located at 135 North Sierra St. Ste. C
- Bumblebee Blooms, located at 135 North Sierra St. Ste A2
The employee serving the alcohol at the failing business received a citation for selling/furnishing alcohol to a minor. The criminal penalty for serving alcohol to a minor is a misdemeanor which consists of a set fine of $500.00.
It is the goal of the Reno Police Department and JTNN to create a fun and safe environment during the downtown Wine Walk event, while ensuring only those subjects who are over the age of 21 are served alcohol.
The Reno police department would like to thank the businesses who successfully passed the compliance operation for their diligence and ensuring underage minors were not served alcohol.
The Regional Street Enforcement team is comprised of Detectives from the Reno Police Department, Sparks Police Department, and the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.