The top honors at the 2014 Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-Off in Sparks, Nevada went to Desperado’s BBQ from Hinckley, Ohio. The Labor Day weekend competition features 23 of the nation’s best barbecue teams and is attended by rib fans from all over the country. The six-day event held at the Nugget in Sparks is widely considered to be the biggest, most prestigious rib-cooking competition in the United States.
Desperado’s owner, Donna Rice, was concerned that the ribs chosen for judging would be overly tender, but when her number was called for the first place honor, she said, “This is so sweet!” The win for Desperado’s follows a fifth place finish in last year’s contest.
The top five winners were:
- First place: Desperado’s BBQ & Rib Co, from Hinckley, OH, $7,500
- Second place: Bone Daddy’s BBQ, from Midland, MI, $3,000
- Third place: Famous Dave’s BBQ from Plymouth, MN, $2,000
- Fourth Place: Butch’s Smack Your Lips BBQ, from Mt. Laurel, NJ, $1,000
- Fifth Place: Checkered Pig BBQ, from Martinsville, VA, $500
- People’s Choice Award: Back Forty Texas Barbeque, from Pleasant Hill, CA
- Best Sauce: Porky-N-Beans BBQ Company, from Port St. Lucie, FL, $500, the second year in a row for the honor.
Rib cookers say it’s the bragging rights they compete for at the cook-off and those who do well in the competition generally see increased sales at the event the following year.
The 27th annual Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-Off is scheduled for Wednesday, September 2 through Monday, September 7, 2015. For reservations, event history and information call (800) 648-1177 or (775) 356-3300, or visit www.nuggetribcookoff.com.
SOURCE: The Nugget