NV ENERGY NEWS RELEASE – During this holiday season, NV Energy offers the ten following holiday lighting conservation and safety tips. The recommendations listed below explain how you can enjoy festive lighting that’s safe and cost-effective.
1. Switch to safe, long-lasting, energy-efficient LED (light emitting diode) holiday lights whenever possible.
2. Use a timer to reliably turn off lights during daylight hours and other specified times.
3. Don’t overload your electrical circuits. Check fuses or circuit breaker panels to see what your home can handle. Avoid stringing more than three sets of lights together and plugging into a single outlet.
4. Adhere to manufacturer’s designations and locations of use (indoor vs. outdoor).
5. Outdoor lighting should have insulated electrical cords and be plugged into a ground fault interrupter-protected receptacle only.
6. Don’t run extension cords under rugs, around furniture legs, or across doorways.
7. Keep all plugs and connectors off the ground, away from puddles and sprinklers.
8. Never use electrical decorations on metal trees.
9. Make sure there’s a bulb in each socket of a light string even if it is burned out.
10. Keep your natural tree well-watered to prevent bulbs from igniting dry branches. Never use electrical decorations on metal trees.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.