30.4 F
Reno

TMFPD confines structure fire caused by space heater in garage

Date:

TMFPD NEWS RELEASE

washoe-150x150-2113641-6924783The Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District (TMFPD) responded to an early morning structure fire at approximately 5:30 a.m. today when a passerby noticed flames and smoke coming from a residence on Corsica Court in a Mount Rose subdivision in Washoe County.

The residents of the home were unaware of the fire until firefighters from TMFPD and a Washoe County Sheriff’s deputy arrived to initiate rescue operations. Fire crews arrived to find the garage fully involved in flames. Crews quickly suppressed the fire and confined it to the five-car garage. No smoke or fire damage affected the residential portion of the home.

One of the residents suffered a minor hand burn and smoke inhalation and was evaluated by REMSA at the scene. One family pet perished, but four cats and two dogs were not harmed as they were in an area of the home not affected by the fire.  TMFPD reports the fire was caused by combustible materials made up of blankets and bedding left too close to a space heater which was being used to heat the garage for the family pets.

TMFPD reminds residents it is very important to limit the use of space heaters in homes and never leave space heaters unattended. Combustible materials left too close to heating appliances can easily ignite. Unattended heaters can also be knocked over or disturbed by pets or children.

ThisIsReno
ThisIsRenohttps://thisisreno.com
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.

TRENDING

RENO EVENTS

MORE RENO NEWS

Public invited to help shape future of Truckee River corridor

The City of Reno and Washoe County are seeking input on the future of the Truckee River corridor, an 18-mile stretch between the Nevada state line and Sparks.