CITY OF RENO NEWS RELEASE
Participants meet with elected officials, department directors and city staff to gain an understanding of the city’s structure, processes and services through hands-on exercises and presentations. Activities include a mock planning commission meeting and a mock trial as participants take on various courtroom roles.
Participants also visit the 9-1-1 dispatch center to get a taste of the fast paced, inner workings of public safety. A trip to a local fire station includes trying on some of the firefighting gear and seeing the apparatus up close.
The free eight week RCI program is hosted on Tuesday evenings from 5 to 7 p.m. at various city facilities and venues. Light snacks will be served at 4:45 p.m. Classes begin on Tuesday, March 5, and run through Tuesday, April 23. The registration deadline is March 1.
RCI offers an opportunity for participants to gain valuable insight into city operations so they can become ambassadors for change in their neighborhood and the community to help improve quality of life. It also offers a learning opportunity for those who want to serve on one of the city’s many advisory boards or are interested in running for office. Media representatives are also encouraged to participate.
Applications for the spring session and more information about the program are available online at www.reno.gov or by calling Reno Direct at 334-INFO (4636).
Spring 2013 RCI Class Schedule:
• March 5 – City Manager’s Office
• March 12 – Reno Police Department
• March 19 – Parks, Recreation and Community Services
• March 26 – Reno Fire Department
• April 2 – Public Works
• April 9 – Municipal Court and City Attorney’s Office
• April 16 – Community Development/Code Enforcement/ Business License
• April 23 – Human Resources, Finance and Communications & Technology
• May 8 – Graduation at the Reno City Council meeting