American Heart Association celebrates February Heart Month with Go Red For Women
AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION NEWS RELEASE
Red will be the color in northern Nevada on National Wear Red Day, Friday, Feb. 1, and throughout the next few weeks to celebrate Heart Month.
Hundreds of women and men will wear red and a number of local buildings and establishments will “go red” to make a statement against heart disease and support the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women. The Go Red movement educates women about the deadly disease and empowers them to take positive action to reduce their risk.
Several Go Red events and activities will take place in northern Nevada throughout the month of February:
• Jan. 14 – Feb. 14: Ross will be selling hearts in support of Heart Month and Wear Red Day. You can purchase a heart in the following denominations, $1, $5, $20.
• Jan. 30 – Feb. 3: National sponsor Macy’s will be giving a discount of up to 20% off to all customers wearing red, or customers can purchase a red dress pin for $2 to receive the “wearing red” discount.
• Feb. 1: Reno-Tahoe International Airport will be turning red, selling red t-shirts and red dress pins, with all profits donated to the American Heart Association. CPR demonstrations will also be held near the ski statue from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Feb. 1: Pegs Glorified Ham and Eggs will be turning their pancakes red. All three locations will have red pancakes and 100% of the proceeds will go to the American Heart Association.
• Feb. 1-28: SaveMart will be selling paper hearts for $1 each with all proceeds going towards the American Heart Association.
• Feb.1-28: Party City is accepting donations for paper hearts, $1 each.
• Feb. 1-28: Mimi’s is offering a Mimi’s branded heart, red dress pin and $35 in coupons for customer donations.
• Feb. 9: Scheels and REMSA are teaming up in support of Wear Red Day and National Heart Month to support the American Heart Association through a free community event. Their annual “Save a Heart” event will run from 10:00am-2:00pm and will feature heart healthy activities throughout the store.
• Feb. 1-28: 775 Gastropub will be taking donations for the month of February in support of Heart Month and Wear Red Day.
• Feb. 1-28: The Grand Sierra Resort will be illuminated red all month in support of National Wear Red Day and Heart Month.
• Feb. 1-28: Other Businesses Going Red Renown Health, IGT, EMPLOYERS, Ormat Technologies, The Glenn Group, AT&T and Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority, NV Energy, Carson Tahoe Hospital, Sears, Colliers International Management, Northern Nevada Medical Center, Saint Mary’s, Forte, LLP, REMSA, Plumas Bank, US Bank and Nevada Heart Surgeons.
The American Heart Association encourages businesses that go red to post a photo to the Go red For Women Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GoRedforWomen/.
For information on the northern Nevada Go Red For Women Luncheon, call Carol Rieger at (775) 322-7065 or visit www.RenoGoRedLuncheon.org.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.