28.5 F

NRCS Accepting Applications for Conservation Easements under ­­Farm and Ranch Lands Protection Program


header_nrcs-300x44-7143304-2614561Dec. 21 — The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is accepting applications for fiscal year 2013 funding for the Farm and Ranch Lands Protection Program (FRPP). The purpose of FRPP is to protect agricultural use and related conservation values of eligible land by limiting non-agricultural uses of the land with conservation easements.

The deadline to submit applications is Friday, March 1, 2013 to be considered in the first ranking period for fiscal year 2013 funding. However, applications are accepted on a continual basis. Applications received after that date will be accepted and considered for funding if funds are available after first cycle applications are processed.

Landowners interested in participating in the program work through an eligible nongovernmental organizations, State, Tribal, or local government that has an existing farm or ranch land protection program. The eligible nongovernmental organization, State, Tribal, or local government then submits the FRPP proposal to NRCS State Conservationist Bruce Petersen. Participating organizations are required to provide at least 25% matching funds with NRCS contribution not to exceed 50% of the fair market value determined by an appraisal of the property offered for the program.

Nongovernmental organizations, State, Tribal, or local governments that have an existing farm or ranch land protection programs are encouraged to contact their local NRCS District Conservationist or call Gary Roeder, Assistant State Conservationist for Programs, at (775) 857-8500 x 103 to obtain more information to determine if the FRPP is a good fit to their land preservation objectives.

NRCS also announced that authorizations for the Grassland Reserve Program (GRP) and the Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP) expired on Sept. 30, 2012. “No new applications for these programs can be accepted but we will continue to service prior-year contracts,” said Petersen.

For more information, contactRoeder at (775) 857-8500 x 103, your local USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service office or visit the national Web site atwww.nrcs.usda.gov.


Get free Reno news headlines in your email five days a week.

Unsubscribe at any time.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.