CARSON CITY — The Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, Carson Ranger District, will begin selling Christmas tree cutting permits to the general public on Monday, November 19, 2012, and ending December 24, 2012, or until all permits are sold. Federal offices are closed on November 22, 2012.
- Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis for $10 each in designated cutting areas for white fir, incense cedar, Jeffrey, and lodge pole pine trees.
- Two trees may be cut per household, permits are non-refundable, and are valid through December 25, 2012.
- Cutting areas include portions of Dog Valley, Mt. Rose, Markleeville, Woodfords, Hope Valley, and Wolf Creek. Please purchase your permit(s) early; they sell out quickly.
- Tree cutters should have their own saws, warm clothing, a first-aid kit, extra food and water, heavy rope or chain, and a shovel, in the event of bad road conditions or inclement weather.
- Some cutting areas may be inaccessible after snowfall, so it is advisable to cut trees early in the season. Ensure you have tire chains in your vehicle; this includes 4-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles.
- Permits must be purchased in person with cash or checks (credit/ATM cards are not accepted). Phone, mail, or e-mail permit requests cannot be processed.
Tree permits are available at the following offices:
Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest 775-331-6444
Forest Headquarters-Sparks Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
1200 Franklin Way, Sparks, NV
Carson Ranger District Office 775-882-2766
1536 S. Carson Street, Carson City, NV Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Galena Creek Visitor Center 775-849-4948
16750 Mt. Rose Highway, Reno, NV Friday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Hope Valley Café and Market 530-694-2323
14655 Highway 88, Woodfords Canyon, CA Sunday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Markleeville General Store 530-694-2448
14799 Highway 89, Markleeville, CA 7 days a week, 9:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Learn more about this release by contacting the Carson Ranger District at 775-882-2766.