A Clark County District judge will hold a hearing Monday on a residency challenge filed against Assembly 9 Democratic candidate Andrew Martin.
The court challenge was filed last week by Republican candidate Kelly Hurst, who submitted information allegedly showing that Martin actually resides outside the district in violation of state law.
Assembly District 9 GOP candidate Kelly Hurst.
District Court Judge Jerry Wiese will hear the matter at 9 a.m. in Department 30.
Hurst today also called on Martin to suspend his campaign based on the information gathered by private investigator Tom Dillard allegedly showing that Martin resides at 3317 Daylight Moss St. in Assembly District 2 and not at 7159 S. Durango Drive, Unit 307, in District 9, as he claims.
Martin responded last week by saying Hurst committed an extreme invasion of his privacy in a “desperate attempt to distract voters with false accusations” of his standing in the community.
Martin said the facts are that he lives in his home at 7159 S. Durango Drive, Unit 307, in District 9, and that his previous residence cited in the complaint as his residence is used only as an office.
“We have a very important election coming up,” Hurst said in a statement released today. “I’ve spent the past year going door-to-door talking with friends and neighbors in Assembly District 9. One overriding theme I hear daily is that people want their elected officials to approach the tough decisions facing our state with integrity. They want their elected officials to be honest with them; someone to tell them the facts while looking them in the eyes.
“It is because of these conversations I have had over and over again that I respectfully ask Mr. Martin to suspend his campaign,” Hurst said.
Assembly Minority Leader Pat Hickey, R-Reno, has also weighed in on the lawsuit.
“Nothing goes to the heart of the democratic process more than the integrity of elections,” he said. “Our very system of government hinges upon the fragile foundation of public trust. It is disappointing that Mr. Martin would violate that trust.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.