The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office and Nevada Highway Patrol conducted an Enforcing the Underage Drinking Laws (EUDL) Program on Saturday, August 18, 2012. An underage buyer worked with officers from the two agencies to test if businesses would sell alcoholic beverages to minors.
Of the 31 businesses visited, 7 businesses sold to the minor, and 24 passed.
“Limiting the availability of alcoholic beverages to minors helps reduce alcohol related incidents, including accidents, and increases public safety in Washoe County,” Washoe County Undersheriff Todd Vinger said.
The Enforcing the Underage Drinking Laws (EUDL) Program supports and enhances efforts by states and local jurisdictions to prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to minors and the purchase and consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors (minors are defined as individuals less than 21 years of age).
This operation received funding through a grant from Join Together Northern Nevada (JTNN), a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing the impact of substance abuse in Washoe County by improving access to prevention, intervention and treatment services.
The Sheriff’s Office encourages the public to report any type of underage drinking activities by calling 785-WCSO (9276) or Secret Witness at 322-4900.
Businesses that were cited:
- Bordertown (Mini Mart portion) 19575 US Highway 395
- Chuck’s Circle C, 20255 Cold Springs Drive
- 7-11, 900 Parr Blvd
- Russo’s Tavern, 2900 Clear Acre Lane, Ste J
- Sonny’s Discount Liquors, 2900Clear Acre Lane, Suite L
- Abel’s, 2905 Hwy 40 West
- The Blind Onion, 3605 Kings Row
- Businesses that passed:
- Bordertown Bar, 19575 US Highway 395
- Bordertown Restraunt, 19575 US Highway 395
- Winners Corner, 19575 US Highway 395
- Village Grill, 18705 Village Center Drive
- Spring Mart, 3390 White Lake Parkway
- Verdi Mining Company, 1155 Hwy 40 West
- Bar M Bar, 816 Hwy 40 West
- Chevron 2100, Boomtown Garson Road
- Gold Ranch, 350 Gold Ranch Road
- Chevron, I-80 West, Exit 2
- Chevron, 2900 Clear Acre Lane
- Maverik, 995 Ambassador Drive
- Jackson’s, 910 Robb Drive
- Becks Brew House, 3611 Kings Row
- Chewy and Jugs, 3629 Kings Row
- Archie’s, 2195 N Virginia Street
- Rainbow Market, 4696 Sun Valley Blvd.
- Super Buy, 5200 Sun Valley Blvd.
- JR’s, 5400 Sun Valley Blvd.
- Bi-Rite, 5690 Sun Valley Blvd.
- Quik Stop, 140 W 1st Ave.
- Golden Gate Gasoline, 5190 Sun Valley Blvd.
- 7-11, 75000 N Virginia Street
- Maverik, 15 Panther Drive
The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office celebrated 150 years of proud service and community partnership in 2011. Sheriff Michael Haley is the 25th person elected to serve as the Sheriff of Washoe County. His office continues to be the only full service public safety agency operating within northern Nevada and is responsible for operating the consolidated detention facility, regional crime lab, Northern Nevada Counter Terrorism Center, Internet Crimes against Children Task Force, court security, service of civil process, traditional street patrols and Regional Animal Services.